Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the zoo with all 4 boys and the wife for the free vets weekend. Had a blast with the kids. We were in line for the dinosaur ride and I was standing on a dock with a hand full of fish food (conveniently on sale for .25), letting the boys climb yup and throw food to the ducks and carp. It was kinda like cedar point....

Anyway, I was laughing because there were easily 50 or 60 carp, from a few pounds to what I would guess 15 or 20lbs, and the ducks would swim up to the cloud of carp, then just walk on them to get to the food. Out of no where the ducks (every last one of them) just swam off.

We were about to move forward away from the area when I caught a glimpse of a fish about 40" our a little better sitting just fat enough outside the group of carp that I couldn't make out what it was?

Tried to take apic but you couldn't see out without polerized glasses on. I guessed out was a catfish only because out was darker on top than the other carp, but lighter on bottom.

So 2 fish come to mind, either catfish or carp. Anyone have any ideas what out could have been? Out was a big fish regardless!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
We have caught large catfish and carp right there. Could of been a giant channel or a big flathead. The catfish respond to the bait like the carp but they hang out below them.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
years ago I would fish that inlet from shore when the water levels were low enough to hike around the far point....some really good fishing for crappie and carp ....now I think it is a protected inlet....but could be wrong, don't care too much for the river after all the warnings from the creosote plant up north

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,405 Posts
That area is not closed. The only place that is controlled is the Bird sanctuary. I fish the dock all the time.
My guess is it was a flathead cat. We are catching lots of them at O'Shaughnessy each year. That's also a good area for early spring bass ;)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm? Thanks for the info, I don't know why it was bothering me so much that I want sure what I saw. Anyway, thanks again!

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

1 - 5 of 5 Posts