Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in email as a .pdf attachment and I don't think OGF allows that file format for uploads, so I'll copy and paste.

If you didn't know, Hoover Oshay and Griggs are drinking-water reservoirs (note: not Alum), and the city has created a land stewardship program for residents whose properties abut the the reservoirs. Before that, people were "encroaching" on city land by clearing vegetation to get better views, building docks, etc. Now if you don't enter into a stewardship agreement, you can't clear or plant on city land or build anything like a dock. You can't even drive a stake to tie up to.

=====

Dear Neighbor:
The Land Stewardship Program provides contiguous property owners with a means to access and modify the city-owned land surrounding the drinking water reservoirs. Program participants have been able to legally maintain an access path, establish a view of the reservoir, manage invasive plant species, or install a boat dock.

The Land Stewardship Program recognizes that reservoir access is a desirable amenity which can exist without compromising the health of the reservoirs. Healthy reservoirs are integral to our communities’ high-quality drinking water supply, while also supporting recreational access and providing valuable habitat for native plants and animals. In light of these considerations, the City of Columbus is reviewing and updating the Land Stewardship Program. Updates to the Land Stewardship Program will be designed to achieve the following objectives:
• Balanced approach to meet water quality needs, maintain public access, and authorize stewardship activities.
• Access and design standards to protect water quality and shoreline health.
• Consistent and clear guidelines that are applied throughout the reservoirs.
• Inclusive design criteria to encompass the diversity of geological and ecological characteristics.
• Transparent and streamlined program. The City of Columbus values our partnership with property owners adjacent to the reservoirs and the benefits the Land Stewardship Program provides.

We invite you to attend a public meeting where property owners adjacent to the reservoirs can receive more information about the Land Stewardship Program Update project including goals, process, and timelines. We look forward to seeing you at one of the following public meetings:

Griggs Boathouse Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:00 to 8:30 PM 3033 Thoburn Rd, Columbus, OH 43221 (Duranceaux Park)

Westerville South High School Thursday, November 15, 2018 7:00 to 8:30 PM 303 S Otterbein Ave, Westerville, OH 43081

If you are unable to attend a public meeting, a narrated PowerPoint presentation with the information presented will be available online afterwards. To view the presentation, or for more information about this important initiative, please visit www.columbus.gov/watershed.

We look forward to working with you to maintain a clean and safe water supply for the central Ohio region.

Sincerely,
Richard C. Westerfield, Ph.D., P.E.
Administrator Division of Water

·
Bronze > Gold
2,028 Posts
Yea as much as I’d love a place on Hoover the fact the city could yank that privelege at any time is a big deterrent to dropping big bucks on a lakeside home. After all, it’s not like those folks in Westerville are Columbus voters. In addition to property taxes you’d almost need to budget for periodic campaign contributions (more cost of carry) to ensure you had a voice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just make having a lawn illegal if you live on a res...only half kidding. But I would love to see strict enforcement of buffer zones, fines for messing with rip rap and vegetation.

Not one who loves to be under the thumb, but water quality is more important than your view, sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts