close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Columbus Southerly WWTP

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mushijobah, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Has anyone been here? After looking at it on Google Earth for a while I determined that the effluent discharge is HUGE! If anyone has been there, ccould I have a description?

2. what does WWTP stand for? Then I'll know where to go.
    Tks,

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Waste Water Treatment Plant. I go there for my daily supply of e coli..I highly reccomend it!:D

4. I think you only have to go to Alum to get a dose of a certain type of E-Coli?

5. FINMAN

FINMAN Old Junior Member

It is a huge discharge. Great catfishing just down steam. Access isn't easy, unless you work there. I was there several years ago when ODNR was electroshocking.

6. There's 2 discharges. One is south of Frank Road, but it sounds like you're referring to the one south of 665. You can put in at max acres(on 665) and go down to the discharge. I've gone down there carp fishing in the winter before. The fish stack up by the discharge during the winter.

7. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

these "places" sound very familiar, I had a permit in the '80s to fish simliar(same?) quarries due to business contact, now I believe due to insurance and "other" issues nobody is allowed there "most" of the time. Its like fishing private Phosphorous (spelling isn't one of my Virtues, as most have noticed)(just corrected it with WORD, god this computer is great) lakes in Florida, alot of fishing shows go to these places to show how great they are at catching big bass when any lure thown will work most of the time since these fish get no pressure at all. But gosh is it still fun... Need a research assistant?

8. Stuck at home,
    I don't think that these discharges quite compare to what you're referring to. These stink pipes are rather nasty, smelly, disgusting places. It's discharge from the water treatment plant flowing into the scioto.. It sometimes smells like laundry detergent, sometimes it smells very bad. There are peices of white particulate in the water. It's nasty. I don't want anything to do with these places, it holds a lot of fish and ducks during cold weather, but it's too nasty for me anymore.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

It sure does smell gross! A funny thing though is that the water coming out of the discharges is often times CLEANER than the water it is flowing into! For example, when electroshocking Paint Creek at WCH...We caught two intolerant species directly in the effluent and none in the creek surrounding! It is a very different story though during or after a downpour..

Also, thanks for your descriptions guys!

10. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Sounds alot different, the places I went to were gravel pits reclaimed, like around Frank road near andersons main plant, Man those lakes right off frank had the biggest catfish, thicker than weeds. They would throw steak dinners in the little house off the drive between the lakes and throw the fat and bones from them into the clear water and you could walk on them they were so thick. The bass by the island with the lilly pads I caught my PB, 22 and one half inch sow. The specks were huge also, man I miss that.

11. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I work at A WWTP near powell, it may smell occasionally(the plant) but the treated water entering the river is always better quality than the river itself. But we are very small compared to the city of columbus in the amount of flow we get. Also our facility is fairly new and updated so treatment is easier. We do have some very strict limits on our permit because the river (olentangy) is a state senic river in our area. I always see very nice largemouth and smallmouth bass at the pipes where our water enters year round. Also plenty of other fish like bluegill and lots of minnows and shiners. We do river above and river below samples of the discharge frequently. The river is not any worse below the discharge. We run fecal coliform tests of the discharge and our numbers are always way below permit, so if your fishing in this area feel safe the water is good at the discharge, but a lot of times the river not the discharge has high fecal counts . We used to let people park at our plant to fish but we have had problems with people trashing up the place and messing around with the plant so you know where this led to. Also after 911 we were told to keep people out. sorry guys i cant get any parking passes for ya. I agree, i don't think i would care to fish at some wwtp discharges at times. Remember all wwtp's do not treat the water so that it is of drinking quality. That would cost the taxpayers too much money unfortunately.

12. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

and the people downstream don't like that smelly stuff!!!:D :D

13. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Exactly, its never the discharge at the plant i work that smalls its always the sludge holding process.(the stuff you cannot put back into the river ,the "POOP" ) I have good news though we will be updating our sludge handling facility in the near future and will not have to store as much of the stuff that stinks.;)