close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Columbus Parks Help!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bassnpro1, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Ok, I am looking for parks in the columbus area(within 25-30 minutes of OSU) that have high deer populations in them. Or any other areas that don't get hunted that have deer. The reason I am asking is that I want to do some shed hunting around here and haven't found any good areas. I did find one at Hoover, but that area didn't look that great for shed hunting. And if you have seen any big bucks in these parks it would be useful knowledge also. Thanks!

2. Deer Creek is probably 45 minutes away and there are lots of deer around there and lots of public land to check out. Plus you can fish the spillway for some saugeyes!

3. Bassnpro1

Any areas that are closed to hunting? I have found that areas that get hunted are hard to find antlers on. Thanks

4. Sorry man its pretty much all hunting land.

5. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Sharon Woods park on Shrock and Cleveland near Westerville has a huge deer population and no hunting.

6. Bassnpro1

thank you for the info, i was wondering how many deer Sharon Woods had in it.

7. I use to find a lot of mine along the Olentangy north of 270.

8. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

My friend was a ranger (retired now) and used to live in the house on shrock road in the Sharon Woods Park. We always saw deer in his yard and in the park. A few years ago he was one of the sharpshooters that was thinning the herd in that park as there are so many there.

9. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

This place is also loaded with deer...no hunting. Nice trails through the woods to walk on too. -Hooch-

10. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Try High Banks Metro Park on 23N. I don't think there is hunting there either. Good luck!

11. All metro parks will not alow you leave the trails. You can be fined. You can look on the edges of the woods, but only from the common grassy areas. Sharon Woods deer herd has been thin to the point that you can walk the trails and might not see a deer. There were over 300 deer in an area that if it was a natural setting would hold approx. 35. I have some great pictures of the wildlife from there.

12. Bassnpro1

they say you can't leave the trails, but the few people I have talked too didn't seem to mind. I went to Sharon woods today and stomped everywhere with no luck, the deer herd seemed pretty thin for the cover. With the mixture of hardwoods and fields that place has plenty of food to have plenty more deer than it does now. I did walk within ten feet of an owl and saw 6 owls total.

13. traphunter

traphunter Guest

You said you seen very little deer sign, thats not surprizing at all. Thats what the supposly called "sharpshooters" can do to an area. That very word makes me sick. I dont even bother looking for sheds around my area that much. The deer population is so low I would be excited just to see the tracks, let alone find sheds. Good luck finding an area because Im sure finding an area where sheds can be found very easily will be few and far between.