Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately a small chip on the hood of my vehicle has grown to the size of a fingernail and is starting to slightly rust. I took it to a auto body shop in Canal Winchester and they quoted me $530. This seemed a bit excessive for a tiny chip. I believe they wanted to take the whole hood and work on it off and not just fix the small blemish.

Do you guys have any recommendations on good, reasonable shops in Central Ohio or private operations?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
There is a body shop across from Dairy Queen in Canal Winchester, is that the one you got the estimate from?

·
Super Bass-O-Matic '76
344 Posts
Unfortunately, most people think auto painting is a quick and easy process. Sadly, that's rarely the case.

In your case, you said that the affected area is starting to rust. This means sanding the area down to bare metal and repriming the metal. (If you don't, the new paint won't hold for any length of time).
Then, you have to blend in 3 coats of basecoat with the existing paint. This requires skill and technique, and will involve a fair bit of the hood.
Finally, you have to apply 2-3 coats of clearcoat. Buff the surface after it has dried to make it all shine.
In between primer/base/clear steps, you have drying time and the use of the (gas-fired) heated air in the paint booth.
It's easily a multi-hour project at probably $80+ per hour, plus materials (auto paint and reducer isn't cheap!!!). It will be even more if you have a tri-color paint like some BMW's, etc.!

Just a little knowledge to help you understand, from someone in the industry.
Good luck with your repair!
Dan

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
That seems like a fair price for doing it correctly. The chip shouid have been yaken care of when it happened to prevent the end result.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
On a per hour basis, auto body work is certainly cheaper than plumbers, electricians or HVAC professionals.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I've got a good, reasonable body & paint guy up here near Marysville if you're interested Mushi. Let me know.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your recommendations guys. I've got a few places to try now. It was a shop on Gender Rd.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Thanks for your recommendations guys. I've got a few places to try now. It was a shop on Gender Rd.
Rutherfords....

Used them once. Will not again. On the other side, I have heard of people very happy with them.

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
if they are $80 per hour they aren't... and does a body shop have to come to you to fix your problem?
$80 per hour is certainly cheaper than a good HVAC guy.

That being said $530 sounded pretty fair to me for the problem described and work involved to fix it properly.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Body shops rates are controlled by the Insurance Industry. Most hourly rates these days range from $35 - $48 per hour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts