Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not like that it looks like they are going to cancel the season.
For so many reasons.
I believe it will finish off a lot of small business that we’re praying for a rebound.
All across the country college towns rely on those Saturday football games as do all the fans across the country.
NFL I could really care less.
It’s just sad that this is where we are at with the pandemic.
Try to just reply with reasons you will miss college football
Not turn this in to political tirade we know where that goes

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I'm not so much of a fan but I do think at a time like this the world can use all of the distraction it can get. I think college football (and really any sport at any level) does just that.
For the sake of the kids and the sake of fans I hope they let some form of sports go forward.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
I think spring football would be a big mistake. NFL prospects would probably opt out due to injury concerns so it would be a watered down product.

The college towns would be hurt regardless with the limitation of fans in the stadium.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Football is my favorite sport by a mile, especially college. To be honest though, if there are no fans in the stands I don't even think I would turn it on this year. I just don't see how they could do it, nobody else besides a couple of NASCAR races have done it. It's just not the same. I've watched maybe 10 minutes of a NBA game and half a period of a CBJ game. It just doesn't have the same appeal to me.

Besides, people will just be hanging out in bars watching the games together even more than usual. Sit the fall, and return next year.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
IMO if it isn't safe for sports to proceed, it is not safe for schools to proceed. Be wary of those who are trying to cancel athletics, as they also tend to be those who were picked last for kick ball in elementary school. The nerds are definitely running the show these days "because science, ya' know" and because they throw around big words and talk circles around their data, they are mind-bending folks who should absolutely know better. A college professor friend of mine told me one time "if you tell yourself enough times in a day that your foot hurts, eventually you will start to feel like your foot hurts..."

Jim Harbaugh had a GREAT post on Twitter yesterday. He called people out on their crap, and he is 10000% correct. Their program has followed the rules to a T, and they have NO COVID in their program. None.

This Country needs sports. Period.

·
Registered
951 Posts
IMO if it isn't safe for sports to proceed, it is not safe for schools to proceed. Be wary of those who are trying to cancel athletics, as they also tend to be those who were picked last for kick ball in elementary school. The nerds are definitely running the show these days "because science, ya' know" and because they throw around big words and talk circles around their data, they are mind-bending folks who should absolutely know better. A college professor friend of mine told me one time "if you tell yourself enough times in a day that your foot hurts, eventually you will start to feel like your foot hurts..."

Jim Harbaugh had a GREAT post on Twitter yesterday. He called people out on their crap, and he is 10000% correct. Their program has followed the rules to a T, and they have NO COVID in their program. None.

It’s all part of the big picture to confuse, disrupt, bewilder and inflict as much pain as possible in our daily lives. Control is the goal and they’re winning.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Remembering in the current world in which we live-- the first time there's a problem and God forbid, someone dies or is hospitalized there will be law suits--- lots of them and no school or administration wants to face that-- it's far easier to not play. Imo
Good luck !

·
Registered
307 Posts
I live in State College...it's going to be a huge kick in the nads to the small businesses in the hospitality industry. A lot of our downtown mom and pop stuff is disappearing, and this will only accelerate it. I think a lot of the populism sentiment is hope that we can reverse global corporatism and go back to the "good ole days" but quite the opposite has been happening locally and we just poured jet fuel on what remains.

A lot of homeowners here too, even some of our friends, buy homes way above their affordability and rely on football airbnb rentals to pay the mortgage. They're screwed.

Lack of fans was always going to make this CFB season tough/impossible to keep the lights on. They don't get the TV money that pro sports do. It's going to be bad for a lot of the smaller sports the football subsidizes too. This is going to change college sports in huge ways.

Personally I am busy hunting in the fall. Won't miss it too much, but I tune in when I can. I'd rather see it cancelled than half-azzed without fans and tailgates. I have and will miss the diversion of sports, it's good "background noise" if nothing else and I don't get too offended if people don't share my beliefs and heaven forbid they express them. Turkey season, public land was a little bit of a clusterfluff with everything going on, not looking forward to that carrying into bow season.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Meh, Hairball is just running his mouth because he knew he wouldn't have to play the Buckeyes this year and is trying to make himself look good at the same time ;)

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,007 Posts
Yes it is sad. Sadder still we are shutting down so much of life we look forward to for a disease that kills about 3% of people who get it. What is this world going to be like if something like the Plague shows up again. We all need to get back to normal, healthy screaming at the refs on TV college football.

I'm sure the NFL will probably move a bunch of games to Saturday though to fill the void.
Rickerd

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
So have the other conferences stopped yet? The PAC -12 will stop I'm sure. SEC and ACC I think will try to play. Big 12 ?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
rickerd, i wouldnt care if they moved them to friday nights i wont be watching. its funny the nba, mlb, nfl are playing and even nascar has been racing. they are just picking and choosing what they want up and running, they dont want these pro franshise,s to go broke. so they are saying to hell with collage kids and programs....they just keep kicking the can further down the road

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here’s a question- if no college football, do the athletes get another year of eligibility, if so is their no NFL draft? Cause everyone stays in school an extra year? So kids coming out of HS get no scholarships cause there is No room on the rosters or available scholarships? And we have just lost all the spokes in the tire!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Here’s a question- if no college football, do the athletes get another year of eligibility, if so is their no NFL draft? Cause everyone stays in school an extra year? So kids coming out of HS get no scholarships cause there is No room on the rosters or available scholarships? And we have just lost all the spokes in the tire!
If this wasn’t an election year we’d be watching football on Saturday. The day after the election you won’t hear a word about Covid. Trust me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts