close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

College football biggest joke

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by bkr43050, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Last night's game along with the ensuing final rankings by many of the pollsters only adds more evidence that this system that they call "ranking" is so screwed up. I am glad that OSU managed to covet one of the titles a couple of years ago but now I wonder how much it really means? I sat up last night and watched an undoubtedly ecxellent football team in USC just pummel a team which did not belong on the same field and I wondered to myself, "Is Oklahoma the best team to compete for this title?" If that was the case then congratulations USC because you are about ten times better than everyone else in the college football.:rolleyes:

Then as I am driving to work this morning I find out by no surprise that all of the pollsters chose USC as their champion. After all who else would you pick...except perhaps a few votes that could fall the way of either of a couple other undefeated teams. But the real icing on the cake was to find out that this pathetic Oklahoma team still gets recognized as the third best team in the country???? Give me a break! How can you insult a team like Utah who did everything they could to stake claim to a national championship by winning every time they were on the field by putting Oklahoma ahead of them? I agree that given the layout of the system there is really no way to justify putting Utah at number one over USC or Auburn due to strength of schedule. But you can justify putting Oklahoma ahead of them by any stretch of the imagination in my book. Granted Utah played in a smaller conference but they had four games against teams from the major conferences and won those three by a combined total 145-50. And had an average margin of victory at 42-20 for the season. Oklahoma squeaked out a win against Oklahoma State and the Buckeyes literally tore up Oklahome State.:confused: And Ohio State gets a number 20 ranking??!! It is hard to defend the Bucks to get a higher ranking because of their mid-season stumblings but I have a hard time thinking that the Bucks would not fair well against the Sooners.

All of this makes my head spin trying to make sense out of it. But then I just take a deep breath and relax and thank God that basketball season is here because when this season ends we will know who is the champion because they will have had to prove it on the court in a tournament.:D:D

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Luckily they put Auburn in the #2 spot. I figured Oklahoma would remain #2 in the polls. Maybe we'll get the playoff system. They play with Instant Replay.....why not a playoff system, which is only needed IF we have undefeated teams going into the bowl season.

Oklahoma is overrated. The Big 12 is overrated if you ask me. The Buckeyes....w/their 2nd string QB) Kills OK State......now this. Texas only beats Meatchicken by 1, and Meatchicken is a mediocre (at best) team. I've said it all season, and I'll say it again......USC and Auburn deserved to be in the game, and USC deserves the trophy, hands down.

3. They are the ones blocking a play-off system. First of all, they are more concerned with academics than football, that is where the focus should be. They feel that there are already too many weekends devoted to football to be adding more for a play-off system. I agree, but maybe some of these big powerhouse programs that would figure in to a play-off scenario could do without scheduling the first three "cupcake" opponents every year and get right into conference play so there are some weekends left over at the end of the season for some kind of play-off. For example, I could do without seeing Ohio State play Akron.

teeray

4. If that is the university presidents argument then they have a weak stance. Every level below division I does the playoff system and those kids are probably more committed to learning than the majority of the one in D-1 level. Then you have basketball which plays a 30 game schedule and then a tournament to finish it off. Not to mention that most conferences have added a season ending tournament of their own. If that emphasis on sport was such an issue I don't see how these conferences managed to incorporate a conference tournament to an already busy schedule.

You could put every team back to a 10 game schedule and then eliminate the nearly a month of open time in early December and start the playoff shortly following the regular season. The champion would still be crowned before the NFL has theirs.

5. catking

catking Banned

The only way they can fix this is to have 8 AT LARGE bids . No conferance should have automatic bids to the BCS Bowls. By the way, I don't like Oklahoma , but they did shut out an excellent Texas team this season ;) What was it.35-zip ? That is impressive........ 3rd best team now ?? I don't think so......... CATKING

6. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

HOw can you call "AIDS AWARENESS" Majors academically inclined? Andy Katzenmoyer (Big Cat) had this. Eddie George was something in the horticulture field. These players aren't at school to get an education. They are there to make a name for themselves....and advance to the pros. This is where the university needs to open up their eyes and realize.....w/o football (games, concessions, tickets, parking, TV revenues, merchandise sales, logo sales, programs, etc. etc. etc.....) they would be losing a TON of money pouring into the university.

7. Catking,
    Oklahoma only beat Texas 12-0.;) They score 12 on Texas and Michigan scores 37?? Yet another reason not to believe in the Sooners.:D:D

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I think they use the academics for public relations. With the bcs system they pretty much control who goes to what bowl games and plays for the championship. with in reason. Thus ensuring that certian teams always seem to play in bowl games. The bcs and colleges are out to get the $$$$$. They like to see the big teams in bowls and the teams that bring in the fans. its a messed up system. I would love to see a playoff set up. Concered with academics what about the hoopla that surrounds college basketball and march maddness. I think they could figure out the football they just have a good thing going for them right now and don't want to change.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

BCS: BullCrapSeries. Or better defined in my lingo: BSS :D

The bucks squeaked one away from them in 02....and I was even against the BCS that season. It's a messed up world. And what's really scarry is when the AP refuses to let the BCS use their poll next season because of the inconsistencies in the system.

10. The BCS is definately a joke. Deciding a national champion should be done on the field and not in a computer program. In my book, being undefeated is better than having one loss! But not in the BCS. Just forget all the bowl games, start a playoff system for the top ten teams from a major poll right after the conference play ends, and let them settle it on the field. Until that happens, THANK GOODNESS we have the BCS!

11. I think they need to make it either 8 or 16. You would either have 3 games to decide it or 4.

12. catking

catking Banned

That's right :rolleyes: 12-0 was the score... By the way, next year the AP told the BCS they could no longer use the AP poll as part of the BCS formula. That is freakin HUGE, since about 3/4 of sports fans go by the AP poll ..This season stunk. Why was Auburn playing VaTech instead of Texas??? Texas was the better ranked team with only the one loss. CATKING

13. catking

catking Banned

By the way guys, this is nothing new. The BCS didn't create an already existing problem. Penn State went undefeated 3 times in the late 60's and 70's without winning a title , and they were a major independant, playing top teams every year........ CATKING

14. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Welcome to one of the wonders of the BCS Seclection.

15. BKR-

You bring up some good points. I'm not terribly against the BCS as a way to match up teams for the bowl games. I don't like the fact that it has fouled up "The Grandaddy of Them All"-The Rose Bowl into accepting any other teams from either the Pac-Ten or Big Ten. I'm not suggesting that the Rose Bowl Champ, Texas came from a real strong conference (Big-12). The Pac-10 is weak IMO, too. On any given day, any team can be made to look like champs or chumps. I'm not sure that Auburn would have fared any better against USC last night, as they were only able to put 16 points up against VA Tech-who IMO is a second ten ranked team (at best) from another so-so conference (ACC). Another case in point is Cal (another Pac-Ten weiner) who cried for weeks about being snubbed by both the BCS and the Rose Bowl only to get their a** handed to them by TTech. "Our" Buckeyes looked hapless against a few mid-season opponents, only to break-out and look like Title Contenders in their last 2 games against 2 good teams. Who knows-it's partly coaching, attitudes of the players, health of the team (key injuries) and a million other variables that are impossible to list. If a playoff system was instituted in college football, how far would OSU-"the" OSU-not OK St ;) have gone this year? Would they have deserved to have even been admitted to the playoff? If you were # 1 would you have wanted to play them at 8-4?

The current and previous (football) systems reward teams for their play over the entire season. In basketball "all" you have to do is make the Big Dance and then the team that gets hot has a chance to run the table. They went from 48 to 64 teams in NCAA-B tob bring in more $$ not to allow any more teams in that felt left out ormwre possibly good enough to win the title! I guess what I'm saying is that a playoff system sounds good (even to me at times) and it seems to work well in D-II and DIII, but the bottom line is that until the unversities and corporate sponsors can prove that they will make more $$ from a playoff system-you better get used to what you have now :rolleyes:

Toolman

16. Good points Toolman! And like Da King said the problems did not come along when the BCS evolved. They just were not solved. I guess the biggest beef I have with them then is that they lead us into the perception that it is a "Undisputed Champion" scenario when it really is not. Perhaps they would get less criticism if they would have just left it alone and left the Rose the "Granddaddy of 'em all" and kept the Big 10/Pac 10 matchup. The more they mess with the bowls the more it seems to screw things up. And even with a playoff system we Buckeye fans would have still been upset because we would have been left out this year as well.:rolleyes:

17. I really didn't have a problem with the old system. It was seldom that an "Undisputed Champion" was not had. One of the last I can remember was Penn St and Nebraska-maybe 1984? Maybe late '80's/early 90's Colorado and someone? I like the bowl alignments-The Rose Bowl with Big Ten vs Pac Ten Champ. The Cotton Bowl with SW Conference champ (now the Big 12) playing an at-large team. The Sugar with the SEC vs an at-large team. Made for great inter-conference rivalries and match-ups you could look foward to as conference champs.

Oh well-the "Good 'Ol Days"! :rolleyes:

Tim

BTW-Your Bro's team was Jeckyl and Hyde last night. They had another one "in the bag" and fell flat-ended up losing by 1 point! I wish Nick was "playing" for him! :(

18. Ah yes the Good Ole Days. I remember them. Back when the Bucks would play the final game of the regular season against "that team up north" for the Big 10 title and then follow that up with a Big 10 game which often decided the national champion.:):)

I am sure he wishes he had Nick for a couple of quarters...especially if the PT is not there for him at the varsity level. I have not talked to him this week. I am sure I will get to hear the details from him. I know those kind eat at him because as a coach you like to think you can prevent game situation meltdowns. Unfortunately when you are dealing with the human factor things don't always go according to plan. I still think he is pretty pleased with their progress.

19. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

:confused:

Auburn should have played UTAH, not VA TECH...........................heck UTAH would have played a better game against USC than Auburn or Oklahoma !!

Utah is TUFF

GO Bucks !!

20. I agree totally.