Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a collector of Coleman lanterns, 2 and 3 burner stoves,single burner stoves,heaters,lantern cases,funnels,lantern shields and anything else Coleman and cool. anybody have a Coleman oven that fits over a 2 or 3 burner stove i am looking for one. and do you happen to collect coleman stuff ?

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I am a collector of Coleman lanterns, 2 and 3 burner stoves,single burner stoves,heaters,lantern cases,funnels,lantern shields and anything else Coleman and cool. anybody have a Coleman oven that fits over a 2 or 3 burner stove i am looking for one. and do you happen to collect coleman stuff ?
Were you at Hartville Flea Market on Memorial Day? I met a Coleman related collector there.

·
Banned
607 Posts
johnrude,

Pretty cool that you collect that stuff. Brings back memories of fishing Erie at night in the late 50's and early 60's with my dad and brother on the pier that is now called Bradstreet Landing. Not what it was called back then though. I recall that most of what you heard were the hums of well tuned pumped up 2 mantle Coleman lanterns. No loud people or radios - just the occasional sound of somebody casting and forgetting to take off the clicker of their Pflueger.
I wish I still had Pops lantern but I suspect my brother has it. I'll have to check. I did inherit 2 single burner stoves from my father in-law though. I think they are model 500's with nickel tanks. They have a stamp of 47 B on them. Could 47 be the mfg year? I haven't lit them in many years, but I should take them apart, clean them and get them going again.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
johnrude,

Pretty cool that you collect that stuff. Brings back memories of fishing Erie at night in the late 50's and early 60's with my dad and brother on the pier that is now called Bradstreet Landing. Not what it was called back then though. I recall that most of what you heard were the hums of well tuned pumped up 2 mantle Coleman lanterns. No loud people or radios - just the occasional sound of somebody casting and forgetting to take off the clicker of their Pflueger.
I wish I still had Pops lantern but I suspect my brother has it. I'll have to check. I did inherit 2 single burner stoves from my father in-law though. I think they are model 500's with nickel tanks. They have a stamp of 47 B on them. Could 47 be the mfg year? I haven't lit them in many years, but I should take them apart, clean them and get them going again.
there easy to clean up and lube and fix. the plunger pump needs to oiled and the seal inside the fuel cap needs oil to.same work to lube a lantern also.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there was a guy i met at hartville probably 15 or so years ago who authored a coleman collectors book. i bought one and had him autograph it too. i use the book all the time for reference. the author lives near hartville i believe.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
Yes 47 should be the year. I had 2 of these w the cases and sold them for over a hundred bucks each. (if its the same one). There are alot of coleman collectors out there, and I do have a small collection going myself. Wouldnt say its specifically coleman. More vintage and antique fishing and camping gear. Most of the lanterns will give a code on the bottom of the tank. it should give a 2 digit month and 2 digit year. The one you arte refering to was only produced for a short period of time after wwII and can burn any type of fuel. Thats why they are extremly sought after now.

·
Banned
607 Posts
johnrude thanks for the cleaning tip for the stoves. The fuel I left in them smells like total varnish - been in there a long time. I'll empty it and see if I can get them lit and burn off some gunk. My idea years ago was to fabricate a carrier for both with an oven like cover to use for cooking outside of the shanty on the ice. Your post got me thinking I ought do it.

fishintechnician, thanks for the info regarding the mfg dates. I figured Tom probably bought them new around that time.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have 30 lanterns-6 stoves-6 single burner stoves-2 heaters-4 old coleman funnels in boxes- about 5-6 reflectors for lanterns - coleman lantern carry cases and some of my stuff is in factory boxes.

·
meat dragger
502 Posts
are you talking about the oven that folds up. then when ready to use you unfold and set over burners and you got a oven. i got one and love it pizza and cinnamin rolls at deer camp every year lol if i come across another one ill be sure to let you know. here,s what it looks like:)

Attachments

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation for a website with good instructions on repairing a Coleman camp stove and a local source for parts? I have one that I would like to use for swim championships in 2 weeks.
The Coleman website has parts and manuals. The only thing I have replaced on my 50 year old 2 burner stove has been the generator. Of course it hasn't had much use in the past 20 years.
http://coleman.com/Parts/240/coleman-fuel/413G499/2-burner-gas-camp-stove

Holy Cr*p... A new 2 burner is $140??? . I better keep my eyes open at those garage sales...

http://coleman.com/product/classic-2-burner-stove/3000000789?contextCategory=1200

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the stoves and lanterns are very easy to work on. mainly just oiling the plungers and fuel caps is the normal maintenance. and Snakecharmer has posted the sites for parts.anybody see a coleman oven i am looking for one. the coleman website i belong to has meets for guys to gather and buy,swap and sell there coleman stuff. i am going in september to Howe Indiana to a gathering of coleman collectors. if i new enough people would participate i would host a meet at my place.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Just picked up a Coleman lantern at a yard sale this weekend for $10! I still has the plastic case to protect it too! Don't know if it works yet, but it looks to be in good condition. They had a 2 burner camp stove there for $5 too, but I didn't get it. Probably should have.

Johnrude, you would have like this yard sale. Lots of old machines and equipment this lady was selling that used to be her dad's. If I could remember where the sale was, I'd give you the address. It was southwest of Ravenna somewhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts