Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what they are saying this has been the coldest July in history...This has not helped the fishing...Hope Aug. is much better...Get back to normal fall is comming...Better Fishing next month....JIM....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yea, global warming?? How 'bout the rain? I really don't like fishing July and August anyway. Never had much success, other than Erie.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
This rain and cold is driving me up a wall, I can take the temp but damn, enough with the rain already !
We have had almost ZERO rain up until last Thursday so I will take the rain. Part of my lawn has not been mowed in nearly a month. Things are greening up again which is a nice change.

I have enjoyed the cooler temps this July. I keep thinking we will get our due some time soon. Who knows? Maybe August will be when it happens.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't mind. Cooler summer = earlier steelhead run!

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
This summer has been great temp wise. Only put on the A/C twice. Lots of energy and money being saved:)

·
Take a Dad fishing
364 Posts
This subject got me to thinking....(oh oh).

The Cleveland Plain Dealer had an article that stated something like, "Cold summers don't mean cold winters". I called BS. So I had to do a little research.

I went back to one of my favorite times in life, 1977. 17 years old, delivering the PD during a time when President Carter declared a National Weather Disaster.

I looked at first 200 of the lowest temps by month/year. (can be found on Cleveland.com)

May 1977 5 of the lowest out of the first 200
June 1977 11 of the lowest
July 1977 2 of the lowest
August 1977 6 of the lowest

Of course January of 1977 had 17 days in the top 200 of cold temps. Practically the entire month.

So, if a colder than usual winter did mean a colder than normal summer, what about the reverse? Does a cold summer mean a cold winter?

I took a look at July for all years and saw that July 1960 had 9 low temps in the top 200. (there are about 3400 temps for each month)

Aug 1960 1
Sept 1960 1
Oct 1960 4
Nov 1960 1
Dec 1960 6
Jan 1961 2
Feb 1961 1

Ok, where are we at in 2009? Good question, glad you asked.

Jan 2009 3 (#13, #28 and #49 out of 3400 days tracked)
Feb 2009 1 (#23)
March 2009 3 (#48, #49 and #50)
April 2009 0
May 2009 1 (#86)
June 2009 1 (#47)
July 2009 0

the balance of the year will be interesting to track. I'll try to update it every month if I remember.

What's it all prove? Not a darned thing. But, I think there is some correlation/pattern to the weather whether (wow, two words sounding alike and meaning two different things. Love the English language) they want to believe it or not.

Time to paint some lures.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Bring on the fall!
Im ready for those steeleys and whitetailed deer!!!!!!!!!!
Not to mention my games start in high school football!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
From what they are saying this has been the coldest July in history...This has not helped the fishing...Hope Aug. is much better...Get back to normal fall is comming...Better Fishing next month....JIM....
I don't know Jim. I've caught four fish 40" or larger this July. I can't complain about not roasting on the water either.

·
don m
1,014 Posts
I hate to be the one with the bad news but no global warming this time folks. Check out the "Maunder Minimum" that happened from 1645 to 1715(called the little ice age). That was when the sun cooled down and almost all sunspots stopped. The last sun spot recorded was in 06 when there was only 2. If we are going into another sun cooling cycle the bass fishing will be great with longer winters and cooler summers leaving the lakes much cooler also. Just hope everyone likes potatoes as much as the Irish did to survive. Oh, Thats when the Themes froze over also. Look it up. The scientific community is really buzzing over this one and nasa is updating thier site continually.
Just a few thoughts to research and ponder. Fairietails?
later ya'll
don m

·
SMB and Saugeyes.
175 Posts
Actually, the bass fishing it better in the south, where it's warmer. Longer feeding season, less shad die-off, etc. So if anything global cooling would probably slow down the bass fishing here.

·
disMembered
56 Posts
The sun is, indeed, in a cool period. The sun's activity has been waning. Add to this that there have been a couple of volcanic eruptions within the last 8 months, or so, and it is easy to see why things are so cool, relatively speaking. However, there is also supposed to be an "el nino" occurring right now, so it is possible that this will counteract the cooling effects of the the sun cycle, and volcanic activity, leading to, at least, an average winter.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MadMac..You Muskie fishermen are a different breed..you know what you are doing...I had a good friend I worked with, who owned a cottage on Lake Chautauque and I fished with him for at least 10 years...I never fished for the Big Toothy One he did and from the things he told me about his times fishing for them...You guy's are nuts...I told him that every time he told stories of the Toothy One... Too all you Muskie Fishermen I give you a big pat on the back...When I catch one it is always by accident,, not choice..
JIM...;)....

·
Registered
260 Posts
The sooner the zero's and minus temps are here the better Id love to ice fish in august.Just never can get cold enough soon enough and long enough for me!!!!!

ICENUT

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
MadMac..You Muskie fishermen are a different breed..you know what you are doing...I had a good friend I worked with, who owned a cottage on Lake Chautauque and I fished with him for at least 10 years...I never fished for the Big Toothy One he did and from the things he told me about his times fishing for them...You guy's are nuts...I told him that every time he told stories of the Toothy One... Too all you Muskie Fishermen I give you a big pat on the back...When I catch one it is always by accident,, not choice..
JIM...;)....
Yeah, it's not for everybody I guess. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts