Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the walleyes in reservoirs still bite close to shore, if the water is open? Thinking about trying local res with slip bobber and minnows, if there isn’t ice, maybe next week if it warms up a bit. What do u guys think? Will they still be within casting distance or moved off in deep water?

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Ya imo if the water is open it is worth it! I'm not to familiar with your guys up ground reservoir eyes,but like said above,they will be where ever the food is. So especially in a lake with out alot of shad,that food will be in the rocks....
The lakes and rivers I fish in central ohio for saugeye,if there open we can usually find them. Even when they freeze,then open back up....
Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The res was locked up today, forecast is calling for 45-50 next week, Monday afternoon/evening I will give it a try

·
Jiggin Freak
2,426 Posts
I've caught walleye up shallow on nights when skim ice was forming. I've always assumed they come up shallow all year because i think those small bluegill pretty much stay up in the rocks for safety all year. Just have to be there when it is feeding time. Low light periods (dusk/dawn) are usually best on the upgrounds since the water stays pretty clean and clear on most of them.

Good luck and always interested to hear how you do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts