Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone been having any luck with this terrible weather. Might try and go catch some steelhead this weekend or some smallmouth but am not sure if they will even be biting because of the weather. lmk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
find some cleaner water and throw the jerkbait. Last two days it has produced 10-1 vs other baits for me. As long as your water is above 52 ish you should be good. Afternoons have been much better than mornings too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been popping all kinds of stuff this week. Small bass and gills out of Sunny Lake, some hoss pike out of the river a few days ago, and yanked two small northerns out of the logjam behind the property last evening just messing around with a big streamer. The pike are ultra-aggressive right now. The past two weeks have been some of the best pike fishing I've had in years, this chilly week being no exception. Overcast, cold, windy, drizzle....PIKE TIME! And Bassthumb is right.....all my fish are caught early afternoon-on. I usually find mornings to be a complete waste of time this time of year, especially for pike. Actually, pike fishing in general. I rarely ever hook into them before noon. I reckon they're still hung over from the day before.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are calling for 50's and 60's this weekend. how much nicer of weather are you looking for?!?!
Im fishing this weekend but in regards of today the weather is not good, sunday is supposed to be really nice and tmrw is gonna be pretty good but with the water temps dropping that usually affects the bite

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
find some cleaner water and throw the jerkbait. Last two days it has produced 10-1 vs other baits for me. As long as your water is above 52 ish you should be good. Afternoons have been much better than mornings too.
Yeah im gonna throw a white suspending jerkbait in the cuyahoga and see if i cant get a few smallmouth or hopefully a pike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been popping all kinds of stuff this week. Small bass and gills out of Sunny Lake, some hoss pike out of the river a few days ago, and yanked two small northerns out of the logjam behind the property last evening just messing around with a big streamer. The pike are ultra-aggressive right now. The past two weeks have been some of the best pike fishing I've had in years, this chilly week being no exception. Overcast, cold, windy, drizzle....PIKE TIME! And Bassthumb is right.....all my fish are caught early afternoon-on. I usually find mornings to be a complete waste of time this time of year, especially for pike. Actually, pike fishing in general. I rarely ever hook into them before noon. I reckon they're still hung over from the day before.
Im gonna try for pike this weekend those are my favorite fish to catch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking at the forecast, I'd head out Sunday for sure. All this cold weather and that slushy sleet/snow/ice/rain we got will keep the water temps low. That'll keep the pike right where they want to be, regardless of what the sky looks like. I think Sunday's sunshine will get some heat back in the water, in the shallows anyways, and get the other fish moving too. Tomorrow could be a wild card either way. I think Sunday is money.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,894 Posts
Shorts weather
Been shorts weather since march.

Im fishing this weekend but in regards of today the weather is not good, sunday is supposed to be really nice and tmrw is gonna be pretty good but with the water temps dropping that usually affects the bite
we live in Ohio, dropping water temps don't have as much of an effect on the fishing. modify techniques. All the fish are either pre-spawn or post spawn and have to eat. Let work dictate when and when you don't fish, not the weather. But I do understand why people like nice sunny days. They are great to cast a bobber out and sit in that lawn chair!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been shorts weather since march.

we live in Ohio, dropping water temps don't have as much of an effect on the fishing. modify techniques. All the fish are either pre-spawn or post spawn and have to eat. Let work dictate when and when you don't fish, not the weather. But I do understand why people like nice sunny days. They are great to cast a bobber out and sit in that lawn chair!
Yeah very true, I guess it is April now so the fish are moving around and such

·
SOLID MEAT
5,894 Posts
Yeah very true, I guess it is April now so the fish are moving around and such
most people don't give fish credit for adaptation to cooler water. very seldom will they shut down completely. especially pike. In the case of pike, they often become less active as the water warms, due to a decrease in oxygen levels.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The other day I was fishing and came across school of fish and they looked disgusted when I put bait on them, not even 50 yards away found a pile and cldnt not catch a fish! Crazy how they are sometimes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.