close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cold creek

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by idontknow316, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Went to cold creek today and the odnr was there as well as the land owner and was telling everyone you are no longer allowed to fish, you will have to go to cold creek trout camp to fish were is cost 5 dollers per day

3. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

I don't blame 'em.
    Since Margaritaville's been closed, the place seems like a zoo.
    Was out there the day before and the banks were lined all the way to the falls.
    Kinda p.o.'d - I actually got pushed out of a spot by 3 guys wading right behind Margaritalville. and I was in a kayak!
    I don't mind sharin a spot, but they walked right where I just got a fish.....

4. the odnr officer said the owner was complaining people were leaving beer bottles and trash.... a few bad people ruin it for everyone

5. i think it said on the odnr website if you are in a boat you are ok to fish, because the land under the water is the landowners, not the water so if you are in a boat your ok

6. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Yup. It's legal to go upstream in a kayak (or boat).

That's why I like the place, usually you can 'yak up the falls and have it to yourself.

Too bad people were making a mess of the place.
    I keep all my beer, errr, soda cans in the kayak, along with cigarette butts.

7. i dont know of anywhere else to fish cold creek, there is a fence running down the whole thing all the way to the fish hatchery

8. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Creek Crawler how do you stay with the current-Anchor? Where do you launch?

9. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

If you want the official word on the Cold Creek situation I can give it... I'll admit I was waiting for someone else to bring this up as I knew this was going to happen - I just didn't want to be the first to post it and have everyone arguing whether it was true or not... figured it would just be easier after the ODNR and owner made their intentions clear - which is what sounds like happened today...

Margaritaville was sold some time ago, you may have noticed this year the restaurant seemed 'seasonal' as it was closed through winter. Because a change in ownership was taking place and Margaritaville was closed it lead to people just parking and fishing on the private property. No one was really around to take notice or care about the 'trespassers' and enforcement was not being requested.

Anyways, along with knowing the previous owner and knowing ODNR Officer Kevin Good (likely who was out enforcing today), that is how I came to know this was going to be taking place. Officer Good was very clear several weeks ago that the new owner had been in contact with them regarding the fisherman and enforcement of keeping people off the property. I didn't ask what the details were as to why and when this would take place - if I had to guess it's likely as simple as the timing corresponding to taking posession of the property or maybe just getting ready to open the restaurant. Nontheless, that is the situation at the 'falls'. I also want to note, I don't know the new owner(s) myself, so I'm right there with everyone else as I no longer have priviledges either.

It is very accurate that they don't own the water - so yep - when I feel motivated to load the yak, I'll boat it as well. Usually for the trouble of hauling the yak I just assume to shore fish at the camp anyways.

Just thought I'd throw some info out there...

10. where do you guys lauch your boats? do you pay the trout camp to launch? when i was about 12 or 13 i used to go off of the rr tracks. but wouldn't even think about doing that now

11. CoolWater

I put in at the camp, and pay.

12. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

Hey CW do u use an anchor? How much for the ramp?
    Hey my post count is 123(3) LOL

13. CoolWater

I honesty have only taken the yak twice and just paid the 5 bucks to fish. I just carried it over to the launch and jumped in it without anyone saying anything. I didn't take an anchor either time and legally you wouldn't be able to anchor back there. Without an anchor I found it rather frustrating and hard to fish so that's whay I only bothered those 2 times. Shore fishing from the camp is fine - I did like the scenery of the falls - but I'll cope with just the camp and be fine.

14. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

Ok thats what I thought about the anchor I also was wondering how you fished it out of a kayak with the current. Well have to find a new spot.... 1234 :)

15. CoolWater

Seriously, just fish the camp no need for a new spot... Cold Creek is a fun place to fish, don't let the lack of being able to fish the falls keep ya from the location... we all waste 5 bucks here and there - don't let the 5 spot bother ya either!

16. Question...since you would now have to pay to fish does that mean that technically you wouldnt be able to claim any fish caught for fish ohio awards? Just trying to get 10 different species fish ohio's this year. Thats why I am wondering.

17. CoolWater

Quiet, this is my take on that...you CAN claim fish caught there for awards. I have turned in several Fish Ohio Awards that have been honored there.

Look at it as you are paying for access to fish on the camps property, the water itself is actually public. If you launched a bass boat somewhere else in Sandusky and just cruised over to CC, you could go up and down that stretch including behind the restaurant all day long and I don't see how they could do anything about it. You could also look at it as if you hired a charter... your paying to get acess, use their equipment etc etc... - but it's public water you are fishing. We all know people on charter's claim their award fish and there is nothing on the app asking, did you pay?

Thats my long answer to a short question... turn those awards in, you'll be fine. ;)

18. I have been fishing Cold Creek for a good while and the place is absolutely wonderful. 5 bucks is worth it for a fire, community minnow bucket, good people, and pretty decent fishing. I haven't been there for 08 yet due to being away at school but I remember when Margaritaville was still open they gave you some leeway to fish there earlier in the morning. I never did feel the need to fish over there just because I didn't have the waders nor did I feel the need to fish the falls. I did fine under the bridge and near the boat docks. Now that I read about how the public abused the falls and the property outside the camp it kinda gets under my skin. It's a great place. Lets not ruin it aight?!

19. the only problem now is that the trout camp will prob be packed every weekend and will have limited access to the bridge