close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coffee Anyone...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by atrkyhntr, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Howdy All...
    I was just thinking :rolleyes: as I made my fresh pot this morn about this subject...
    While camping the last time out (not 1st time I've seen this done) the older couple next to me simply added new grounds to the old ones then dumped in the water and well it tasted as good to me as fresh... Now down at camp my buddy or his wife will run vinegar/water mixture thru theirs each morning after their done using their coffee maker and their coffee is always great...
    Guess my question is how do you make yours and what extra steps if any do you use?
    THANKS in advance...
    Clyde

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

mmm...coffee....cant start the day without it!

As far as adding new grounds to old, in my opinion, I think it tastes fine but when ive done it i felt that the coffee lost some of its "kick" somehow. So i dont ever do that anymore.

The vinegar water mixture is supposed to be a good way to clean it and freshen it out every few months or so. I dont see the point in doing it every day. Maybe they do it because of the minerals in the camp water?

(Nothin like drinkin some coffee and surfin the net on a beautiful Sunday morning... :) )

3. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

The older couple are smart, your buddy and his wife are anal. In the Navy they will keel hole you for cleaning the pot or the cups. I always add new to old grounds. Some people won't drink it that way, but couldn't tell the difference if their life depended on it.

4. hmnmnmn
    They own a store so I am thinking that after making 10-20 pots per day a cleaning may be in order...
    Guess I should have said that they own a store and yes the "well" water may have something to do with it too...

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I bring my own water to make coffee at work as the water there is nasty and makes the coffee nasty as well. I add fresh grounds to used all the time but make sure I take some old out at some time as it will cause the water not to drain and make one heck of a mess. :rolleyes: ok done that more than once. The vinager/water is supposed to clean for taste as well as keeping it brewing as fast as it should. Which both reasons I could see the store owners do it daily, who here has been to a place where we wait forever for the coffee to finish brewing only to have it taste like shoe. A clean pot must make the dif. cuz I use the same water and coffee at home and work and the two tastes are completely different.

Gonfishing hit it on the head with cleaning a coffee cup in the navy. It just isn't done. Now, it may be rinsed out but as far as the stains go, they stay. The best joke is to scrub someones (my chiefs) coffee cup to sparkling new. :D The cup is thrown in the garbage. Being in the medical field in the navy we came across a foul smelling drug when applied to a ceramic coffee cup it leaves a foul smell that will never come off. Sometimes I miss all the military politics. :confused:

Bill

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if it's a coffee maker such as bunn,or that type,after 10-20 pots a day,it sure doesn't hurt to "flush" it out with the vinager solution,if they're using well water,which could contain lots of iron,sulpher and such.
    with some coffee makers,there's still flavor to be extracted from the used grounds.i do that myself,though my bunn does a better job than many other makers,by design.
    but for the best coffee on a chilly morning at camp,one of these over the fire can't be beat :cool:
    the aroma while brewing,will wake up the whole camp :D

Attached Files:

7. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i've got 2 of those graniteware coffee pots that i've been using for about 20 years now and they've logged alot of miles!they do make great coffee but you sure can't be in a hurry for it.
    folgers singles are pretty darn good too.just like a tea bag and all you do is dunk it for about a minute.

8. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

i dont drink much i just stop at speedway on the way to work....i bet my maker only make 4-5 pots a year

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i just wish i could make a good cup at home or in camp (duck boat) for myself , as i get at mickydees or dairy mart. even tried pure water.

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I like to leave old grounds in the coffe maker for about a month..I dont use mine every day..After a month they get alot of mold on them then I just spoon in some new grounds and drink away!