close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coe Lake/Berea

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Alwsfishin, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Alwsfishin

Alwsfishin '73 24' Stamas

I'm going to go down and drill a few Sunday morning........I'll come back & post by 8:00 or 9:00........if its good com'on down.......

good -------------------> safe ;)

2. Alwsfishin

Excellent ice ........drilled 2 holes ......5/6" of good ice.......now I need a partner....3 to 25ft of water can be fished within 100ft from shore....

pm me with a ph number if interested....waxworms avail at pet store around the corner.....i'll pick them up.......

3. There used to be some decent bass in there...haven't tried fishing there for a few years...also heard of some decent crappie but never found them...let us know how you did.

4. Alwsfishin

Rob.......I've done good with crappie there .....also bass.......3 to 6 lbrs

5. I figured there would still be something in there...it has just been so long since I fished it...never fished from a boat there either...back in the early 80's I used to catch a lot of bluegills and a fair number of good sized ones as well..at a couple of locations there ;) .

6. Alwsfishin

Its 11:30 .........I'm heading down to Coe...I'll be behind the library.....out off the gazebo......com'on down so I can take my life vest off.... :D

7. Alwsfishin

Pulled a lot of dinks today.....a few with size,but not enough to keep........all were tossed back.....a beautiful day to be out.

8. Hey...from the sound of your one reply, I hope I didn't mislead you into thinking I was going to come down...I didn't have any intention of going fishing anywhere today...especially just bringing home the wife and our newborn...sounds like you still had an enjoyable day there...I spent quite a few nights fishing for carp in that lake in my pre-teen / teen years (went to Berea High), a lot back by the Legion Hall...used to get frogs from the mud-hole back there as well.

9. Alwsfishin

No Rob you didn't at all.........I saw you had your hands full........now get some sleep while you can LOL.....

10. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have caught some nice LM bass out by the rock island/pile. i saw a nice smallie come out of there also. i have fishedthere too since 1968. heard there used to be a few northern in there also.

11. Are you talking about where it looks like there used to be an old foundation? Now covered by shallow water? If so, yes, a fair number of bass over there. Or are you talking about the other end of the lake?

12. freyedknot

there is a shallow rock pile comming out of the water ,about 70 yards frok the east side shoreline, southeast of the old foundation. the pile is not always visible, only in low water conditions. i used to always park at the vfw . but we used to be able to drive all the way down to the lake thru the vfw parking lot.

13. The foundation stones I am thinking about are on the far north end, just off shore and extending out about 30 yards, where they meet up to several large flat concrete blocks, which are a couple of feet above the foundation blocks. Sometimes these were all under water. To the east of these blocks was an "island" and then more large stones/blocks/rocks.

The Legion Hall (maybe it was a VFW?) was on the south end where a creek came in. There used to be an island out there, south of the Hall, that a person could wade through the black muck and get to, and then the other side of the island had some decent areas to catch bass.

14. freyedknot

we used to cliff dive offthe high rock walls on the very south shore.

15. I never did anything that crazy. Actually, have never even been over in that area. Is it deep enough for cliff diving? I didn't think the quarry part extended that far south.

16. Almost the whole parking lot and commons area is filled in quarry. The quarry used to be about 100' deep and crystal clear. The dam broke in 54 and they never truly fixed it until a few years back. My family has lived berea/middleburg border area for about 100 years. I have been told all kinds of history stories of the area.

17. I wasn't aware the quarry had been that big. That's some interesting bit of history. I had heard there was still some buildings standing down there when it was filled in with water.

18. Alwsfishin

If you go in the city hall lobby, you'll see some old pics of town. There is one of Coe when it was the city dump. Thats why on the west shore just north of the gazebo there is all kinds of pottery and old glass from 60 to 80+ yrs ago. There's a capition under it that states the fire dept, would have to come down there a few times a week and extinguish the trash, either from vandels or spontanious combustion. I'll take a pic of the pic and post it sometime. It shows what disregard they used to have for natural resourses.

19. Alwsfishin

Last 4th of July

Attached Files:

20. I'll have to meet you up there sometime. I never knew it was actually an official dump. I remember seeing piles of trash or something up there on the north end. There used to be an area there where you could park a couple of cars and you had to be careful because of the glass, metal, etc. Could that be how the peninsula formed?