close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cobra Health Ins.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DHR, Dec 1, 2004.

1. DHR

DHR

I need help
    Ive been layed off and now I have to insure myself and maybe my kids
    I have always covered my kids for the last 22 years but with the layoff
    I'm wondering how I can move their coverage over to their mothers coverage
    till I get things back together
    I have talked to INSURANCE people and it is Red tape-red tape
    Any-- Experianced or experts want to help me
    Thanks

ps: I have been divorced twice and it looks like the baggage I covered has come back to humble me
    I've had custody for all this time
    All I care about is the health Ins coverage if possible

Myself and my kids haven't needed a Doc in years I am just asking for some advice if you can

Thanks if you read this

2. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

DHR, if your wife or ex-wife has health ins it should be as simple as her making a phone call to add the kids on.......if its ins from her work there shouldn,t be a problem but if she pays her own ins than there will be a difinate rate increase, but like i said if its thur her job and she has no objections to adding them on she should be able to do it with a phone call....keep in mind that the kids will have to wait a month or two before they are put on but thats just the way it is...........good luck with this....i pay for me and the wife,s blue cross and for the two of us it,s just under 1100.00 dollars a month, what a crime but if you want ins you pay right.....also keep in mind that even without ins a hospital won,t turn you down for treatment and you can pay them as little as 5.00 dollars a month if you have to......again good luck............... :cool:

3. then you and they are eligible for the same coverage under COBRA. There may be some stipulation about the number of employees and this portability. The HR folks at your employer should be able to get you the forms. Check out the COBRASERVE website.

As I understand it, you have 90 days after the employment change to elect this coverage for yourself and any dependents that were under your work plan, and you do not have to pay until you use the COBRA plan within those 90 days. You can be covered for those 90 days, and if you don't use it you don't pay. This gives you time to find another plan, or get on your spouse's plan if possible. If you elect coverage under COBRA any time within the 90 days, you owe the amount from the first day. The bad thing is, you'll be paying full fare. I had to move my daughter to COBRA when she quit college and was therefor inelegible under my plan. Same coverage as my plan at work, but costs ~$400/month. The other thing is, they send the bill only 3 days or so before it's due, and will not tolerate late payments.

There should not be a lot of red tape. If your employer is telling you that, something's wrong. We only have health insurance to cover the catastrophic stuff, but I wouldn't chance not having it because I hadn't been to the doc in while. You never know when an accident will put you up for a long time.

Please don't take what I write here as gospel, this is just my latest experience.

Hope you get it worked out.

4. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

For financial reasons, you may opt to check with an "Independent" health insurance salesman. They often work with multiple health insurance companies which would equate to a larger choice for you. Perhaps you may want to scale down on your coverage for now. This way if you should require surgery, or a hospital stay, you would be covered (but not covered for routine visits). This would probably be the most cost effective way to go until you regain your employment. I have a name and number of an Insurance guy in Galion Ohio. He has saved our company thousands of dollars on our liability insurance. He is also a financial guru (IMO). His name is Jeff Kirk, company name is Kirk Insurance & Financial Services. 866-462-2900 or kirk.ins@verizon.net. Make sure you let him know that Rob and Marcia of Comprehensive Maintenance Solutions sent you his way! Seriously.. you will love him.

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I am pretty new to the insurance thing, but I am in the works for getting on a plan now. It is with Medical Mutual I believe. According to this paper I have, it say $15 copay for Medical Necessary Visits they pay the rest and 500 deductible if I go into the Hospital. It is going to run about 111 bukcs a month I believe. This does not seem bad to me compared to some of the other ones I have seen prices for. Hope things work out for you!