close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coast Guard Rescue

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by goodday, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unbelievable! If that were an ice fisherman the headlines would be a lot different. Don't get me wrong I respect those guys for what they do, but when a fisherman is rescued they talk about how they risk "their own" lives to do it. Now they risk it for a black swan???????

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

either way they do risk their lives every day in some way ,as do all of us? officer j. simone jumped in the cuyahoga sat.night to rescue a drunken girl that had fallen in the river.it's not a question of SHOULD I DO IT? they just do becuz thats what they do.

3. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

guys this about sums it up----while you guys are on shore deciding on what to do, other people ACT! Its not a question on if we want to, if its safe or anything- Saving lives is in our blood from day one whether it be a fisherman, a criminal, a kid, woman, black swan or a convict. Just remember, "We have to go out, but we dont have to come back"--its part of the job, and i risk we all are proud to take

Our core values remain focused on saving lives and protecting both people and the environment. My crew responded because their commitment to being guardians would not allow them to sit idle while this swan froze to death in the ice."

4. Pikedaddy

Pikedaddy just catch 'em'

I wonder if they sent it the rescue bill.

5. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

coast guard services are free----thats your tax dollars at work :)

6. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

7. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

george isnt smart enough to save him self j/k

8. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

9. Coast Guard works to rescue 3 stranded on ice in Lake Erie

Three people were stranded Wednesday morning on an ice floe in Lake Erie near Catawba Island, north of Port Clinton, according to the Marblehead station of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Authorities are working on rescuing the people but few details were immediately available at 10 a.m. Wednesday.

10. Goodday, did you get your info from one of the local papers? I was told they told to get off the ice as it was not safe, but there was no rescue needed as they just walked back off? But the PC paper and Sandusky paper made iot sound like they were caught on an ice flow?

11. Papascott,

I generally go to ohio.co or cleveland.com while here at work.

12. The 3 men were on the ice and were fine. The local authorities "thought" they should not be out there and told them to get off the ice.

13. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

and im glad you oppinion matters.......and you do a different than me :)

to each its own.

14. hawgjam

hawgjam smell my finger

who's the busy body who called the police? yes, the police probably didn't have anything better to do...that’s a pretty sleepy place in the winter and those guy really do love to play with our taxpayer funded toys. that's not a knock at them...if someone gave me a helicopter and an air boat, i'd be using them too. kinda torn on this one. on one hand, every time we walk on the ice it's at our OWN risk...leave me alone. on the other hand, sure glad their around if i did need rescued. i think i'll join in with the last post...this is a bunch of bs.

15. Going out on thin ice can cause alot of problems for yourself and the people that would have to rescue you. If the fishermen thought it was good than I say go for it this is a free country. If the police and whoever thought it was unsafe to be out there they should say something. It's a big grey area and its seems like the article was written just to provoke a response.

16. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

[

im just going to bite my tongue on this one, and let it rest. I try to hard on this site to uphold a good reputation, im sure not going to let someone like you ruin it for me. :S

17. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

OK guys this has ran it's course. Enough is enough.
    Sometimes things these things are done just for PR. Unless you have been a part of a public service job, being City, State or Federal you most likely don't understand what good these little PR things really do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.