close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CMH,,, fish poaching ring busted

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Deadwood, Jul 16, 2007.

1. HIP! HIP!

For the good guys....amazing, the time and effort put into all this!

Makes your realize the TRUE value of the couple of bucks a fishing license costs

2. Does anyone know the names of the resturants that are involved? They should be fined as well.

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Not many restaurants in-town New Albany that serve "sit-down" style fish. Only two I know off-hand would be The Rusty Bucket and Gibbys.

4. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

The article said the other names would be released today.

5. swollengoat...that's what I was thinking...those are the only two I can think of as well. Crazy stuff....hope for maximum fines!

6. Its only a good thing if they really stick it to the guys caught. The one guy had 127 counts against him with each count having a max of 30 days in jail and $250 fine. My calculations are that would work out to be 3810 days in jail (10.4 years) and $31,750 in fines. If I was a judge I would make the charges run back to back and let him sit there for 10 years in jail. Would that set an example or what?

Jake

7. I hope it is not Gibbys I like the place and go often, but if it is they will be off my list enen if they do have the best chowder in central Ohio.

8. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Good article. I'm looking forward to hearing which restaurant it is!

9. I know a guy on Lake Erie who has been taking 2 walleye limits a day this year,along with his buddys. On his private boat.Hell...He even owns a charter boat.........

10. Better call 1-800-POAHCER. Those guys need to be stopped.

11. bassmanmark

bassmanmark Workin' is for Suckers

I was out on a charter with a captain and his "helper" with my cousin and myself and we caught 35 walleye and he kept everyone. As we reached our "limit" he got the binoculars and watched for boats that would get near us. He launches out of Vermilion and he's a big guy with a beard named....

12. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Hopefully they are never allowed to have a license in Ohio again! Or anywhere else for that matter.

13. and YOU ALL caught..........35 walleye. and he watched for boats so YOU ALL could try not to get caught! :) have a nice day

14. You really want a guy to pay 10.4 years in prison for a fish?

These guys deserve to be punished but why would the game wardens let 1 person commit this many violations before something is done about it? I mean if its really about the fish. They let one person take over 100 fish before they did anything? Something aint right about this story. Im sorry.

15. I was wondering about that myuself fish coffin. Why let em take so many if you dont plan on making a big example of them. if they dont make a big example of them why not bust them asap?

16. Sad thing is they'll get a slap on the wrist

17. just saw an article update that said they were asian restaurants, anyone know of any potential asian places in new albany that this may have been?

18. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I honestly doubt any jail timed will be served at all - very little if anything. Sadly, poachers are just slapped on the wrist - and it is not the fault of ODNR. You can blame our judicial system for not taking hunting/fishing crimes seriously. (I turned in a poacher several years ago, and other than about $2500 in fines and court costs he got off without even so much as his license being revoked.)

As for allowing them to do it - I am sure they were building a case to prove this was deliberate, and there was a well established system in place for selling the fish afterwards. *It's the same thing with police going undercover to bust a theft ring, drug ring etc. You have to build the case, get all your facts and names straight and basically have it air-tight or some slick lawyer will get them off.

I honestly hope they put the screws to the restaurant(s) who bought the fish. They knew what they were doing and are the at the root of the problem. No demand = no business.

19. bassmanmark

bassmanmark Workin' is for Suckers

and YOU ALL caught..........35 walleye. and he watched for boats so YOU ALL could try not to get caught! have a nice day Danshady......I was on his charter.....can't make him put them back....