Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
i like red and white. but i would also get a black,brown,green/white and yellow/ white.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On the subject of smallies, I just received Bob Clouserś Fly Fishing for smallmouth in the mail two days ago. I have not had a chance to read in-depth, but I will agree with steelheader on the emerald shiners based on the scant perusing of the book I have done, and the fact that I´ve caught shiners (and a lot of creek chubs :confused: ). That indicates to me they are abundant as a food source. Seems to be a good starting point.

BTW I have caught a few smallies on a partridge & yellow swinging a traditional wet-fly across & down past boulders in my local stream. But the creek chubs really love the partridge & yellow too! (drat, now I´ve let my secret out)

What about your favorite crawfish patterns? What I´ve read indicates those are good for smallies (and also carp, which I will start targeting this year). But all the patterns I´ve seen are rather involved, and I´m not sure my tying skills are up to it yet. Or I am looking in the wrong places on the ´net. So what´s simple to tie and works reasonably well that others use?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Well... Crawdaddies I dont mess with I have only ties 4 in my entire short life as a fly flinger... now if you want to talk sculpins thats another ball of wax, my biggest steelhead #16 (in a river in NY), and my biggest smallies #7 (obviously not in a creek) was on a sculpin! Craws work, but I just done tye them that often!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts