closest river action from Columbus Area

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by danjaquino, Nov 17, 2008.

1. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to do some steelhead fishing and wanted to know what river or river access is closest to Columbus area and offers good fishing for Steelie's. I usually fish the Ashtabula River and it's about a 3 hour drive. The drive just sucks, but the fishing is excellent. I'm looking for somewhere closer to home. Any ideas? Great big thanks in advance and good luck!!

dan

2. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

Seems to me the Rocky is the closest, but the further east you go, the better the fishing right now...

Man, I forget how spoiled we are up north. Steelhead practically in our backyards....

3. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

you guys are spoiled

4. You have the Chagrin in Eastlake, and the Grand. The Steelhead go from Painesville to 534 in the Grand. If you need more help let me know I live in Eastern Columbus.

5. creekcrawler

6. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Chagrin off rt 322 is about 2 hrs 15 min. Go E on 322 and it'll take you to the upper reaches of where the steelhead can get to below the dam,definitely there by this time. Cuyahoga off 77 is closer but not consistent action and does'nt get a good sized run.TC1

7. danjaquino

danjaquino WHODAMAN

you guys have been very helpful, anyone fish the vermillion?

8. creekcrawler

9. Dan don't let them mess with ya!

I drive to the Rocky almost every weekend and it's two hours no matter how you cut it. The Vermilion is the same distance. Wakeman is where you want to be on the Vermilion. Everything else is further east than that two hour drive....but yes....the action is much hotter!

The question is.....How bad do your really want it?

Tight lines guys!