Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The end is near
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was pruning some low branches when all of a sudden, Mr. Velvet bursts out of the woods. I calmly started talking to him and he stuck around. I got my wife's attention and she brought a few apples out which I chucked over to him and he immediately started chowing down on them. After they were gone I approached him with the branches. I figure he eats browse so he ought to like them. He started eating their leaves. All in all, he was there for about 5 minutes before he walked off into the woods. The whole thing was pretty cool and I just wanted to share.
Has anybody else had similar experiences?

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,609 Posts
From his body and head conformation, I'd say no more than three, and maybe just 2.

Reactions: Lazy 8

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
was out picking blackberries last year here in summit co. and had a small buck in velvet follow me for about an hour. i would stop he would stop and just watch me, not sure what he was up to but it was cool. when i was done he followed me back close to where i was parked and stopped and he went his way and i went mine

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Young animals can do some strange things.
I had a skunk hanging around my backyard, I didn't notice him until I was too close, I backed away and went around him to my shed. I didn't pay any attention to him and I didn't smell skunk. He hung around all summer and would eat peanuts out of my hand. Then a bigger skunk showed up, I figured it was a female. She would eat peanuts, if I threw them to her. They didnt come back the next year. Pretty cool little skunk

·
The end is near
7,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Young animals can do some strange things.
I had a skunk hanging around my backyard, I didn't notice him until I was too close, I backed away and went around him to my shed. I didn't pay any attention to him and I didn't smell skunk. He hung around all summer and would eat peanuts out of my hand. Then a bigger skunk showed up, I figured it was a female. She would eat peanuts, if I threw them to her. They didnt come back the next year. Pretty cool little skunk
That's pretty cool. Last fall we would have anywhere from 4 to 6 of them foraging under our black oiler feeders just before dark. I never approached them. It'd be my luck to befriend one with an over active sphincter muscle. :)

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
That's pretty cool. Last fall we would have anywhere from 4 to 6 of them foraging under our black oiler feeders just before dark. I never approached them. It'd be my luck to befriend one with an over active sphincter muscle. :)
That's what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Looks like he was easy going and not alarmed. I have had the happen a few times as well. Even with Doe’s. My son runs a 3-5 miles a day where he lives and when he slowed down as he was coming back to his street and he saw this Buck a few days ago. He stopped and this guy walked up to him to about 5 feet away and just stood there and looked at him for a few minutes as well as ate some grass and then they both moved on.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
looks like maybe 1 1/2 to 2 year old

Reactions: Hatchetman
1 - 15 of 15 Posts