Clever idea needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jennis9, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. jennis9

    jennis9 Fish against the fish...

    I need a few clever ideas to replace the rubber gasket/plug in the rod holders on the gunwale (the black gasket in the picture). The old ones are missing and we need a way of plugging this up so water does not drip down the inside of the boat and into the storage areas - we're redoing the interior and it would be a shame to promote rot.

    I looked into getting replacement rubber gasket/covers -- but they are $22 each. And I'd rather buy other gear for 44 bucks. If I have to - I will, but thought maybe someone could give me a few ideas before I spend.

    Let me know what you come up with...

    Attached Files:

  2. Seaturd

    Seaturd Catcher of Fish

    Put a layer of silicone caulk around the rod holder flange before you bolt it back in place. Clean up the caulk that oozes out for a nice finish.

  3. Lewzer

    Lewzer Powderfinger

    You can pick up a tube of the silicone cement used to glue glass together to make aquariums. Squeeze a ring under the openings, press down and it will dry soft and flexible with good adhesion and clear.
    It's easy to remove if you ever need to.
    You can get it at a pet store for $5-$10.
  4. jennis9

    jennis9 Fish against the fish...

    Thanks guys -

    The fitting to the ginwale is not leaking - it's the hole of the rod holder.

    The problem I have is with the missing cap -- not the gasket part. I need to cap/plug the hole with something.
  5. Anything you do other than purchasing the replacement caps from the manufacturer is going to look strange.

    It makes no sense to re-work the interior of your boat to your liking then invite your friends to go out with you and the first thing they notice is..."hey...wazup with the duct tape?"
  6. Don't know how deep your rods go? But if you have room to spare get yourself some spray foam in a can that does NOT expand. Fill in a couple inches/


  7. jennis9

    jennis9 Fish against the fish...

    Like this...

    Attached Files:

  8. Workdog

    Workdog "One More Time"

    I believe I once heard of a cap which slides onto the bottomside of the pipe. Then you run tubing from the cap to the bilge for drainage. Perhaps you could make them from something like a baby bottle nipple??? I had those type rod holder covers like yours on a boat once. They were always breaking, a PITA. I might even have a new set somewhere, but will take some digging to find.
  9. I Fish

    I Fish I am what I eat.

    Hope this link works to get the picture. They make them in different sizes, and you might get them to work, although I don't think they would be completely waterproof. It's cheap enough to try.
  10. Not sure how flush an install you need but ...
    How about a plumbers plug? It expands when you tighten it. Not sure if there is a size available to fit your needs.
  11. Perch

    Perch Perch Addict

    Get a big Ole Cork.......... A white one......

    Or a small Expansion plug from the hardware store. HomeDepot would have one.
  12. PapawSmith

    PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

    I don't know if you have any wood topside (to match) but this is what I would do.
    Get a small piece of teak about 1/4"-3/8" thick and big enough to make covers the same as the outside diameter of your rod holder plate.
    Make a tapered dowel, for each, about 1 1/2" long slightly under diameter (of the tube) at the top and about 1/2" under at the bottom. (easily done with a
    belt, drum, or disc sander)
    Wrap the dowel with thin rubber matting cut to fit. (you can buy small sheets of this) Adhere with contact cement.
    Adhere the dowel to the bottom of the teak cap with epoxy cement.
    Put a small brass eye screw in the center of the top of the teak cap and attach a small brass ball chain to the cap and to a spot below the gunwale.
    These should look nice and the rubber coated plug would fit snugly in your rod holders and the brass ball chains will keep them from being lost.
  13. Spend the 44 bucks. I'm thinking anything else and you'll end up looking at it everytime you get in or out of the boat and think, "I should've just spent the 44 bucks."
  14. LOL...yeah, 'cuz $44.00 in boat terms is like -$229 in real people terms.
  15. Why not just let the boat get wet? :confused: Or stuff a pool noodle in the hole.:rolleyes:;)
  16. ezbite

    ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

    its funny to me you want to replace them, those caps were about the first thing to go back when i got my trophy. i couldnt stand em, always in the way when replacing the rod in the holder, getting tangled in our lines. i got a razorblade, trimmed them up so it looks like a factory die cut job. as suggested, i vote for just letting them drain on the deck. id say your going to get alot more water in the open end of the boat, than down that little hole:)
  17. Two Hip

    Two Hip Perch Killer

    Use a rubber bathroom vanity drain plug??????
  18. willy

    willy no boat

    Just ask your wife or significant other if they have one of those "plugs" all females usually have. Just jam it in the hole and when it gets moist it will expand to make a fluid proof seal. Best part of it is when you feel the need to use the hole it has a covenient ripcord for quick removal...
    If you really want a cheap fix I would get a rubber stopper from a hardware store, one with a hole in the middle, run a cord thru it and knot it. Then attach the cord on the bottom of the holder so when you need the holder pull the stopper and drop it - he cord will keep it from getting lost and it wont be teathered on the top to get in your way.
  19. PapawSmith

    PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

    Note to me... Never fish on willy's boat. :p
  20. LMAO ROTFL "plugs" plus if your wife needs one , You'll have a spare for her......