close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleveland's Best Smallie Stream???

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rweis, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I will be fishing for Smallies this weekend and wondered which of the rivers you guys consider the best for Smallies? Any special kind of water or conditions that you look for? Recommended flies? And of course, if any of you would lie to tell me about your secret spots, I will be more than happy to listen. Thanks guys - R.

2. I can't say which is the best but last weekend we did real well on the lower grand. Over 30 fish hooked between 2 of us and some big ones to boot.
    We started off tossing rapalas then switched to Fat Ika's in olive and just started slaying them. It was a ball!
    the fat ika's resemble crawfish patterns....so i would think weighted wolly buggers in olive would produce well. we worked these baits real slow in pools and drifted them past big rocks in faster water.....
    I would like to give the Cuyahoga a try but have no clue were to start.....so if any one can help out with a great starting spot that we could wade rather then bank fish that would be Great!
    good luck

3. And of course, if any of you would lie to tell me about your secret spots, I will be more than happy to listen. Thanks guys - R.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I dont know if you typed it that way intensionally or if it was just a typo. But I really got a kick out of it. Thats what you will most likely get, Lies. Anyway I dont know where you are located but the Rocky isnt bad for smallies. You wont get many big ones this time of year but you should be able to get a bunch in the 8 - 10 inch range and if you use ultralite gear it can still be a blast. I've never fly fished for them but a small twister tail on a 1/8 oz gig is usually a killer. Most of the river will hold fish but I usually target the spots were the river goes from really shallow to about 3-4 f.o.w.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Quite a Freudian slip on that one.