Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a slow day on the lake today. Fished from about 7 a.m. to 2, and slowly picked nine walleyes plus a steelhead. One of the eyes was an 18"er that went back. Fished out past the crib in 66 FOW. Pulled a few quickly, and thought it was on. It wasn't. Headed back inside the crib and pulled a few, then called it a day. It was a beautiful day on the lake, with mild winds and warm temps, but the fish must have taken the day off.

The only thing photo worthy was this rather large plane that was flying low.

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
Thanks for the ride Steve. I believe I picked up a pointer or eight on trolling with boards. Sweet boat that Ranger is.

·
captainhook
1,037 Posts
Decided to take a vacation day and head out with Mr.Drifter. We figured that with all the info that we picked up from Hetfield last Sunday, we would kill them. We were out about 4-5miles from the crib, 60-63 ft. of water. I made up a brand new harness last night and I thought, man, this is going to be a killer. As soon as I put it in the water, I didn't even get a chance to get my other pole ready, the board went underwater. It was a nice fighting 5 pounder and I thought to myself, " Oh yes, the fishing God's are with us today". Should have known better. About 5 hrs later, i finally pulled my second fish on a spoon, Confusion. Mr.Drifter aka Peppe Lepew got skunked again. Starting to think is it really worth it? We were marking more fish than I have ever seen, but couldn't get them going. Lake was flat as a pancake. Some day we will figure this crap out!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Het.....any difference in the program that worked in close vs out deeper?

Moondog......that Peppe Lepew character follows us all from time to time. Keeping him off the boat is what's important. Hang in there Peppe....your day is comming.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Het.....any difference in the program that worked in close vs out deeper?

Just the leads changed. Out deep we tried every lead possible, up to 85 back with two ouncers, and as shallow as 10 feet back with one ouncers. When we went inside the crib, we used 24 back with ones, and twenty back with twos.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you try any 20 or 30 jets? I caught a few sunday on them
when inlines werent firing.
I thought about it, but most of the boats I heard on the radio were pulling them and not doing any better than we were, so I stuck with the weights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
went out of wildwood today tried trolling for first time ever anywhere from 60-65fow tried dipseys ,jets and flatlining, harnesses, spoons all different colors, trolled for 4 hrs not even one bite, but good learning experiece though.on a good note went into about 43fow in between hosp and the big power stacks.and limited out on perch all 10-13inchers, in about 2 hrs 2-man limit.all in all great day to be on the lake.WFD

·
Registered
91 Posts
Steve, tried your advice for "poor mans" trolling bags or should I say buckets, I got my gps speed down to 1.4-1.5, and my full spools are definitely more accurate with the line out. Thanks.

Great job out there today Het,,,,, slow day for me but I'll be back, hopefully this weekend

My 1/2 day of vac. spent with moondog was a good day on the lake, no fish, good company.
I may have the skunk back BobInstow only thanks to moondog. right after his first fish, he was at the helm.....(LOOK OUT fellow boaters) and all of a sudden the motor dies,,,, I spent 25 minutes replacing fuel/water seperator getting hands full of gas etc.... only to realize after he accidentally pulled out the ignition emegency stop switch........ I think it was all planned,,, he never likes it when I catch more fish than him...

Now my question is for all of you,,,,,,, can the scent on your hands from gas or whatever effect whether or not you catch fish????

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
True story: Mike McClelland years ago was offered a sponsorship from a fish attractant company. He wanted to be sure the stuff worked before he put his name on it. As a control he tested it with unscented offerings, and as a third component he used outboard gas w/ oil added. The stuff outfished the unscented, but worked no better than the gas & oil scented, so he turned the sponsorship down.

In his words "this was when I was young & dumb", in later years he was not so virtuous.

Take it for what it's worth, and remember what you paid for it.

One thing I don't like to get on lures is sun screen.

·
captainhook
1,037 Posts
Hey dude, don't blame me for your lameness. I never came close to that switch...never even touched the throttle...only the steering wheel. i was in the back of the boat when it cut out, remember? I think that the sun is frying your brain.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You guys are killen me, I've been in Hilton Head all week. Not a walleye for 500 miles so I dont want to here how slow it is on the lake, get your a$$ out there and get some lures wet, I got 3 more days of 100 degree temps. and no trolling.The wife told me today to cheer up "we're going to watch the dolphins today" HELP ME!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Rizzman....."The wife told me today to cheer up "we're going to watch the dolphins today" HELP ME!! "

Laughin at ya rizz......just remember.....if momma ain't happy, nobody is happy! These two words will serve you well....
"yes dear". Have fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rizzman, enjoy the vacation with the wife, bring back some rollers and the steady bite. We're counting on you. As the fish get deeper I wonder what would be cheaper, a canadian license or the gas out to follow them east.
Have a good one

·
Registered
91 Posts
Het, don't want to get "off course" with your thread, just want to clarify an earlier statement about my co-captain moondog5814.
After researching the emergency stop clip, I realized that it sticks out far enough to get knocked off by my swivel seat which is probably what happened. Moondog5814, I was only busting ya, chill brother, we'll get ours. Wish I would have had a camera for the look on our faces when that motor stopped right after you caught your first one.
Fish on, well for some anyways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts