Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what happened to all the reports from ODNR and Darcy Eagan that the perch bit was excellent ...??? I call BS on that caught a fish an hour yesterday and from all the radio chatter it sounded like everyone was having the same terrible luck from Rocky River to Euclid. We moved from west to east starting at the crib and in five hours got 5 fish. Am I doing something wrong how many cranks on the reel off bottom? what size hook 4,6,8 ?? , ultralight or medium action rod and rod length ? , mono or braid and what pound test??? :confused:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
If no one was on 'em maybe they just had lockjaw for the day.

I like #4hooks with a long shank if ya can get 'em. Ya catch fewer real small fish and fewer get gut hooked. Braid for perchin.....I just use old 30# braid line off a trolling rod....perch dont seem to care.
Medium or ultralight.....I think a little more backbone results in fewer misses with that weight down there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Here's what I use.... Me and my 13 year old son kept 37 on Sunday at the crib. We let go that many small ones. Didn't catch any junk fish. Since I was flying blind - I forgot the fish finder - we ended up in the pack. It was slow until we started using 1/2 minnows. Most were 8.5" - 10" that we kept. 2 jumbos that were over 12" but under 13".

Capt Curts perch rig - I like pink, I think my son was using orange and Golby.

5' ultra light rods - Cabelas has a president combo for about $70 that is nice, but a hair on the weak side. They work, but I like a hair more backbone. The white combo at Dicks for about $49 is good too.

Braid - something around 10# that works with a spinning reel (important to avoid tangles). We use yellow so you can see the line to avoid tangles with each other.

Hooks - my son catches at least as much as I do, and like #6 cajun hooks with the red line. I like the smaller baitholder snelled truturn hooks. On the top arm, we use a snelled long shank #6 hook, with a spinner. Makes the rig drop a little slower, and gives it some flash.

I always hold my rod and lift. My son typically uses two rods and watches for the bites. I don't like looking at the rod, I'd rather feel the bite.

I hope this helps. PM me your number, and I'll let you know next time we go out.

Note I was in the 18' Center console that was painted half grey and white with a grey stripe. I'm getting it ready for hunting season. We don't fish much after Sept 1 (goose opener), but may try this year, depending on the duck hunting season dates.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use a Micro Graphite Spinning rod with 30# braid left over from the trolling rod. I like to use a Crappie rig and place a hook on the lowest point by the weight. The bottom hook seems to always out fish the top 2 hooks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a 7ft med action rod cabelas brand with braid chartruse spreader with 1 oz weight I do use #4 red snells and I have limited out almost every weekend north of Gordon park.48 fow this past sunday. I don't keep em smaller than 8 inches. I fish outta a 16ft blue lund predator. crappie spreaders haven't done much for me this yr

·
Erie Bytes Fishing Team
297 Posts
This has been a different year for perch. Spreaders have far out produced crappie rigs. I've gone to #4 long shank hooks and 1/2 minnows. This seems to work best. I use several different medium action rods but always braid. I do not set the rod down but lay the spreader on the bottom and then lift slowly. 1 oz sinkers works best too for me. The only time I didn't limit was when I fished with a drunk guy and a 12 year old with a broken arm and we caught 1/2 of out limit,

·
Registered
942 Posts
Some days you catch fish and some days not... was out Sunday to put 4 in the cooler 2 of us 3 hrs....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts