close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleveland Metroparks trout stocking in the Rocky has begun

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by hardwaterfan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Its started, 8 weeks of weekly stocking of 12" avg. size rainbow trout stocked in the rocky river's east branch from edgerton rd. to baldwin lake.

82, and the bonnie park area are two popular spots.

here's the number to the cleveland metroparks trout line, listen to the recording:

1-440-234-9597

2. Dingo

Dingo

A good alternative to steelie fishing. Some of the females will have some eggs, which work on the steelies downstream. Keep in mind that the limit is two trout, even in that section of the river, since it falls under the steelhead (rainbow) limits in lake erie and its tribs. They seem to check for fish and licenses in that section of the river a bit better than downstream (steelhead section), for some reason.

3. Right Dingo. Not my favorite eating fish but a nice change from frozen perch. I keep a few now and then for the frying pan. Also very good smoked. They must have stocked heavily, I caught a few late afternoon yesterday at 130th st. Water conditions are perfect.

4. Hey Guys,

Hoping for a little help here. I have not fished for trout ever. I have mostly bass tackle in my tackle box. Can I catch them fairly easily on spinners, plugs, live bait, etc., or do I need something else? I do not own a fly rod.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tom

5. Dingo

Dingo

No special baits or outfits necessary. I have done well in my younger days drifting a nightcrawler past structure. You can also get 'em on powerbait (best sacked), jigs/maggots, and hardware (spinners, small spoons). Just keep moving around until you find a few fish. Since these fish don't get very large, you don't have to worry about using undersized equipment as you would fishing downstream for steelhead.

6. Thanks, Dingo man! i will give it a try!

Tom

7. these are difently a fun alternative to steelhead, ecspecially on ultra light gear. These sections of the river also have the added bonus of only being 15 min from my house....look out rainbows :)