Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the Fed. EPA or Ohio EPA dramatically fines the city of Cleveland every time there are huge storms and the sewers dump raw waste onto the beach and into the water.(like Sat.) Edgewater is officially closed.
Shouldn't we be past this with the Clean Water Act?
Hope this doesn't make people mad, but maybe someone should sue the EPA to press enforcement. It's been done before in other areas.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,873 Posts
I hope they do get fined. I don't think the sewage spill is just after storms either. We were out last night (Friday) and it smelled like sewage in some spots even though it hadn't rained in a long time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The city of Lakewood does the same thing in the rocky river every time theres a heavy rain.Ive fished there in the fall and couldnt keep my lines clean from the toilet paper rolling down the river,thats downriver of the filtration plant. Caught numerous condoms and tampax on my hook,kind of disgusting,but if they get fined thell just past the cost on to us.I guess their sanitary sewers just overflow into the storm sewers,at least thats what ive been told.

·
Kiss The Converse
4,560 Posts
When you say "Edgewater is officially closed", you mean that literally? I've seen it get bad before, but haven't seen them ever close it before.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The city of Lakewood does the same thing in the rocky river every time theres a heavy rain.Ive fished there in the fall and couldnt keep my lines clean from the toilet paper rolling down the river,thats downriver of the filtration plant. Caught numerous condoms and tampax on my hook,kind of disgusting,but if they get fined thell just past the cost on to us.I guess their sanitary sewers just overflow into the storm sewers,at least thats what ive been told.

Actually in older areas they (sanitary and storm) are one in the same and that is what causes most of the problems during storms. It is true that millions of gallons of untreated sewage go into Erie and area streams each year and that is not good. HOWEVER, it is a fraction of what it used to be and projects are constantly underway to fix the problem. Most do not realize what an enormous undertaking this is. About 75 years worth of infrastructure has to be replaced or modified not to mention the need for increased capacity in the sewage plant themselves.

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
i thaught you were an electrician,ron. not a plumber? good explanation. our system is so outdated it can't handle the flash flood we had today. i would not swim at edgewater even on good days.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i thaught you were an electrician,ron. not a plumber? good explanation. our system is so outdated it can't handle the flash flood we had today. i would not swim at edgewater even on good days.
There is a ton of electrical work needed to make those sewage plants run;)

·
IUOE #18
46 Posts
The sewer district is in the prosses of fixing the problem,Bbut it takes millions of dollars. The company I work for is on rt90/2 by Eddy RD on the east side of Cleveland tieing into a 16 1/2 foot sewer under the highway. From there it will tunnle under the r&r tracks and head south a mile and a half or so. The new line will handle the sewage in that area and stop it from ending up untreated into Lake Erie in the event of huge amounts of rain fall. Its gonna take 15 million and 3 years to fix a bad design from 80 years ago, but you gotta start somewhere.

p.s Slow down in our zone!;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whenever there is an overflow event like this it is bad, however it is the last resort of the treatment plants. There are plans to eliminate overflowes all together but it is not an easy fix. The Treatment plants do an amazing job of treating the wastewater and overflows are rare. Also everything is reported to the EPA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts