Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got 6 North of gold coast. A lot of good marks, but had to work hard for them. Nice eaters around 22 inches. Casting worm harnesses, green beads with perch colored blades. IMHO, the full moon had something to do with the slow bite. My old timer fishing buddies say few days before and after full moon is best, but the day of the full moon fish feed real hard all night. Also seeing masses of bugs or some kind of bait when seeing fish marks on the hummingbird helix. However, the trollers seem to have done well Saturday, but I enjoy casting. Good luck..

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,004 Posts
Are you guys fishing from top down? Those blobs are bait and it is hard to see fish inside them. You might be fishing under many feeding fish. Last 2 years, I was using a splash count to a 3 count until middle of July out of RR. Unfortunately, friends boat is no more. I took him and his son out 5 times and caught nice fish up high. Deepest we ever fished that way was 44 FOW. Harnesses worked better now to get a slow steady retrieve up high. In a few weeks, the weight forwards work better to keep speed up high. I also prefer evenings since the fish are beginning their daily feeding. Mornings they might start high but move down pretty fast.
Good Luck,
Rickerd

·
Registered
9 Posts
I assume you mean starting high (splash count) then deeper until a pattern is established along with trying various colored blades/beads for worm harnesses. Yep we do that, but it was tough for us last Saturday out of Cleveland. Thinking they were just not biting too good while we were out. Usually have one rod with a bottom bouncer, working a second at various depths. Drift was not good to start out, but got better towards the afternoon.

·
2,004 Posts
I was on another's boat last night in front of RR and west. We were not fishing just took kids out swimming. We went into 22 FOW and found decent fish marks. Drifted out to 46 FOW and saw similar marks. Water has like 12 plus feet of visibility out there. Hungry fish can see and hear baits coming from a good distance. Go get them guys and let us know what fish they are.

RIckerd

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rickerd when you talk about casting harness’s, are you meaning 2 hook harness’s or are you talking about 1 hook mayfly rigs!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Good to know. I have tried casting the same lures we troll with out deep but never had any luck. I can’t say I stuck with it too long since they always hit weight forwards then.

·
2,004 Posts
The casting harness I use has a single hook. Take a look at Mike's "Eye-Keeper Charters" reports and you will see what I use. I have the same style Mike uses, cause I learned them from him. But I also have a "bear claw" pattern. That means "dark bead, yellow, dark, yellow, dark, yellow, dark, then spinner. My 3 color patterns are red/ yellow, purple/ yellow, and green/ yellow. Purple has been best this year in WB followed by red then green. In the CLE area, Red/ yellow has seemed best in the past.

If I am drifting a harness on a bottom bouncer, I would use a 2 hook harness, just like trolling with the second hook a treble.
Rickerd

·
2,004 Posts
Once you find the fish, the key to being successful with drift casting harnesses, is to learn to let them fall to depth, then real them in a speed that makes the depth consistent back to the boat. Another key is to cast to area where boat hasn't spooked fish and longer casts are an advantage.
Rickerd

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I am in FL now but I know there was a big NE blow this weekend. Still nothing casting/drifting around Cleveland?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Still all trolling reports lol. Doesn’t seem like there is a single person casting in Cleveland!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts