Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a buddy up Wednesday for some casting/drifting out of Edgewater. Marked a ton of fish up there a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to get back out. Not looking for spots, just wanted to make sure they are there from the Gold Coast east...
Thanks

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Fish were hanging tight at the thermocline about 40' , we only caught a few shorts casting in 3 trips , had to switch to trolling to get a decent catch

·
Registered
553 Posts
Did some casting out of wildwood this past Saturday. Marked a ton of fish inside and could not get them to go, not even any junk to speak of. Stayed on those marks too long. Moved out to 63-64 fow where the trollers were doing good and caught about 7 or 8 keepers in the middle of the afternoon

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fish were hanging tight at the thermocline about 40' , we only caught a few shorts casting in 3 trips , had to switch to trolling to get a decent catch
Don't mean to hijack this thread but can you see the thermocline on your depth finder. I have a Lowrance Elite 5, and I was between the gold Coast and RR Saturday and did well trolling Stinger behind dipseys in 48 to 53 FOW. Had my dipseys running about 30 to 35' down, kept setting them lower as the sun got higher. Chicken Wing Stingers did best 2.7 to 3.0 SOG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taking a buddy up Wednesday for some casting/drifting out of Edgewater. Marked a ton of fish up there a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to get back out. Not looking for spots, just wanted to make sure they are there from the Gold Coast east...
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks
Taking a buddy up Wednesday for some casting/drifting out of Edgewater. Marked a ton of fish up there a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to get back out. Not looking for spots, just wanted to make sure they are there from the Gold Coast east.
Yeah buddy, drift and cast have been short lived this year! I dislike trolling but that's the only way we have caught them since jigging out west in April. Tried casting from catawba to Gordon park not great results. Killed them trolling the whole distance. Was about 5 miles north of crib Thursday and marked many fish 63 to 70 fow got 18 quick trolling dypsies and spoons. Would love to cast, post how you do Wednesday. GOOD FISHING!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, casting has not been great from turtle creek to Cleveland. Since jig bite in April by Bessie trolling is the way. Always take my casters but end up trolling. Marked fish and caught limits las week 63 to 70 fow trolling north of crib. Would love to get them drifting. Good luck buddy and post your results! Thanks

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but can you see the thermocline on your depth finder. I have a Lowrance Elite 5, and I was between the gold Coast and RR Saturday and did well trolling Stinger behind dipseys in 48 to 53 FOW. Had my dipseys running about 30 to 35' down, kept setting them lower as the sun got higher. Chicken Wing Stingers did best 2.7 to 3.0 SOG.
It shows up very distinctly on my Garmin 93sv right at 40 feet

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The casting bite this year definitely hasn't been as hot as the past few years. Not really sure why, but we haven't put together a boat limit yet this year out of Edgewater. The past 3 or 4 years, we were getting limits all June and July in less than an hour.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
The casting bite this year definitely hasn't been as hot as the past few years. Not really sure why, but we haven't put together a boat limit yet this year out of Edgewater. The past 3 or 4 years, we were getting limits all June and July in less than an hour.
Same here , fish just aren't schooled up like past seasons , not sure why but it's frustrating yet fun trying to figure it out!!!

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
2,005 Posts
When the winds go from North a day or 2, then south a day or two, the fish in close go through periods of transition, or they move deeper where the thermocline is set up and they don't have to transition. A good south wind will bring up cooler water and currents from the thermocline. If the thermo is set at 40 feet, and you have a south wind, try from 40 feet into 30 fow. those fish will turn on if bait is being drawn in under the surface currents. IF you have a north wind with surface temps nearing 80, the shallow water bite will shut down because the water is filling with warmer water. This is important to understand in CB and EB. The western basin mixes more and therefore more uniform temperature and all hot water now. Removed (doesn't mix as much because it is shallower and all hot water now.)
Rickerd

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the winds go from North a day or 2, then south a day or two, the fish in close go through periods of transition, or they move deeper where the thermocline is set up and they don't have to transition. A good south wind will bring up cooler water and currents from the thermocline. If the thermo is set at 40 feet, and you have a south wind, try from 40 feet into 30 fow. those fish will turn on if bait is being drawn in under the surface currents. IF you have a north wind with surface temps nearing 80, the shallow water bite will shut down because the water is filling with warmer water. This is important to understand in CB and EB. The western basin doesn't mix as much because it is shallower and all hot water now.
Rickerd
Thanks for the detailed response. Actually holding off until Thursday based on tomorrow's forecast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We did good this past Friday straight out from Gold Coast, but have to say we had a slow start in about 51', casting harnesses, silver blades and various bead colors. Marking fish could not get them going. Went to 58'-60' and changed to gold blades, finished with 2 man limit at around 10:30 AM. Wish I would have tried gold before moving. Bite was different and winds kept changing.
I can see the thermocline on a helix sonar. Many times seems the fish lay right with it along with the bait.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Same here , fish just aren't schooled up like past seasons , not sure why but it's frustrating yet fun trying to figure it out!!!
I agree completely, fish not schooled up tight. I have caught limits drifting in June and July in the Lorain-Avon area but very hit and miss. The guys who have been getting consistent good catches/limits have been fishing frequently (to pattern the fish daily), getting very good (GPS) numbers from others trolling and fishing 6-8 hours to get their fish.

There are fish there, they are scattered. Definitely not as "easy" as it was the previous 3 years.

I, personally, don't consider fishing 6-8 hours to limit as good-excellent fishing. So I'm taking what I get in 3-5 hours sometimes its a limit more often this year its been 2-4 fish in the box per person for that type of time period.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree completely, fish not schooled up tight. I have caught limits drifting in June and July in the Lorain-Avon area but very hit and miss. The guys who have been getting consistent good catches/limits have been fishing frequently (to pattern the fish daily), getting very good (GPS) numbers from others trolling and fishing 6-8 hours to get their fish.

There are fish there, they are scattered. Definitely not as "easy" as it was the previous 3 years.

I, personally, don't consider fishing 6-8 hours to limit as good-excellent fishing. So I'm taking what I get in 3-5 hours sometimes its a limit more often this year its been 2-4 fish in the box per person for that type of time period.
Once the 4th fish hits the cooler i tell the wife we got enough fish... in this heat 3 to 4 hrs. done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts