clearfork?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by riverKing, Feb 1, 2008.

1. thinking about heading out next week and with the rain i dont know if the mad will be fishable. how much does rain effect clearfork, i know some tailwaters are great when it rains because they hold water back, others creeks come in and blow them out anyway. also what gauge height is the max fishable level. also i have never made it to CF, are there any access areas recomended and any specific things i should know about it before fishing?
    thanks!

2. Utard

Utard

3. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

Larger size black wooly bugger works well if it up a bit.

4. thanks for the map it will certainly help, i have heard of the nursery area before, is the fishing above the lake better/worse/different than below. also is it prone to blowing out with some rain.

5. Utard

Utard

I've only ever fished it once, so I couldn't tell you specifics but from what I understand it can be spotty, hit or miss. I agree with buggers or something along those lines. I also did OK with either a prince or PTN sz 14, 16 maybe. I had a vicious strike when I landed a clouser minnow on a big fat leaf and pulled the leaf off with the fly (it was fall). Soon as that leaf hit the water, the place just exploded. I was so unprepared for it and awe struck that my reaction time was too slow. I've heard good things about the river through the nursery, but also through the campground. It is all really easy access. I don't know what the fishable water levels are or what a big rain would do, but it the river is a bit of drainage for the surrounding hills, so it would probably rise pretty quickly.

6. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

if the water is really nice and clear be sure to carry some Deer Hair Emergers or similar flies. Size 16 to 24's and cream midges in size 24 to 32's. These were some of my most productive flies when I used to fish it every weekend when I lived in by New London.