Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently bought a kayak and moved up to Cleveland. Upon seeing the fish report on ODNR and some forums, i have decided to drive out to either Clear Fork, Wellington Upground, or Findley Lake this weekend. Since they are over an hour away; i was hoping to have some luck going a bit further (weather permitting). Does anyone have recommendations for one or the other? They are listed on the ODNR website as having high # of LM and panfish (I prefer LM).

I have been skunked the past couple times going to local ponds; so i am looking more towards the # of fish to catch and have a fun day rather than getting a couple pigs. I appreciate all the help i can get!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Never fished clear fork however I can give a little input on Findley and Wellington. Findley is a pretty lake. Had a hard time finding bass of an significant size when I was there though. Water was dark and stained when I was there, kind of muddy looking. Not sure what current conditions are. There is woods surrounding much of the lake and good shoreline structure.

Wellington upground is about the exact opposite of Findley. Very open area and extremely clean and clear water. It can get rather windy as it is a wide opening high sitting area. From what I hear the bass fishing has gone down hill since the dnr treated it for weeds or something. The two lakes are very close to eachother so it would be easy to try one of them and if you don't like it you could hit the other one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much!! Even though you couldn't get a monster bass, were you able to catch very many average or dinks?

·
Registered
135 Posts
thanks so much!! Even though you couldn't get a monster bass, were you able to catch very many average or dinks?
I haven't fished Findley this year but when I was there it seemed like 12"-14" bass were there and willing to bite!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello
Hi guys,

I recently bought a kayak and moved up to Cleveland. Upon seeing the fish report on ODNR and some forums, i have decided to drive out to either Clear Fork, Wellington Upground, or Findley Lake this weekend. Since they are over an hour away; i was hoping to have some luck going a bit further (weather permitting). Does anyone have recommendations for one or the other? They are listed on the ODNR website as having high # of LM and panfish (I prefer LM).

I have been skunked the past couple times going to local ponds; so i am looking more towards the # of fish to catch and have a fun day rather than getting a couple pigs. I appreciate all the help i can get!!
Hello,
If you live in Cleveland, you don't have to go that far. Coe lake in Berea is an old quarry lake that is easily accessible, very pretty, and it has a fairly good bass population of all sizes. I've caught largemouth this year from shore (plenty of shore access) 12 "or so, but have been told that there is a good population of much better fish. Two other lakes going east and pretty close to each other are Punderson lake and Ladue reservoir. From the west side of Cleveland it is about a forty minute drive. You take I 480 east to Rt.422 east, 422 east to Rt. 44. Exiting 422 onto 44 turn left and about 500 ft is a small bait and tackle shop. The owner will give great up-to-date info on both lakes. from the tackle shop turn right onto 44 and Ladue is about a mile down the road with a launch ramp just before the causeway on the right. Ladue has walleye, bass, crappie, perch (both yellow and white) catfish, carp and sunfish. For Punderson turn left from the tackle shop onto 44, go about six miles to Rt. 87. Turn left onto 87 and go about 2-3 miles. Entry to Punderson State Park will be on the left. Follow the signage to the marina to launch. They have a bait shop and boat rental there, but it run by teens and doesn't have fishing info, plus often they only have limited bait. Punderson has bass, rainbow trout, crappie, sunfish and channel cats. The lake is fed by three underground springs and has cooler water all year long. Great bass habitat, lots of lily pad beds, and structural changes. Maps for both lakes are available on line. I hope this helps you, see you on the water.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Findley used to be amazing for bass. I do not know why the ODNR treats Lakes for weeds. Findley is not a drinking water lake. Since the weeds have been killed it's mostly a catfish lake. It does have some bass but it pales in comparison to just 15 years ago. Wellington will most likely never be the same either. Clear fork can be awesome or extremely slow. Clear fork does have some giants in it and some giant musky as a bonus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@smilinjimt thanks for the advice on Punderson and Ladue! They are almost the same distance from me as willington and findley, so maybe i will do willington and findley this weekend; then switch over to punderson and ladue next weekend and see what plays out!

@laynhardwood i heard they treated wellington for weeds; did they do the same over at Findley? I figured with Findley being a lake rather than the upground reservoir, it would have some pads, weeds, and a decent amount of cover for bass to lay in. But if they treated that place too, then i guess not :(

·
Multi Species Angler
6,050 Posts
Clearfork has been getting treated for weeds most of this year. Last I heard, it looked like pea soup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Findley has a long dredging process going on that is supposed to last for 24-30 months. I saw it a couple weeks ago and it was pretty muddy. I don't know how much it is affecting the fishing but there were zero boats out. The dredging is all at the south end down by the campground.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I did real good at wellington up ground on friday. Lots of nice big largemouth. Its post spawn and the bass are hungry. Wish i woulda taken some pics. The water is gin clear use light line and small lures. For the first time i saw some smallmouth in that lake. Had a couple follow largemouth i hooked into. Didnt hook into any smallies though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd choose Wellington for sheer numbers, however you'll probably catch lots of 10-12 inchers with an occasional 15-16 mixed in. As said above, light line and small baits work well there. Yes, there are a few smallmouth in there but the largemouth dominate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to wellington this Monday and didn't see a bass in the water. I fished 3 corners including on the yellow pier/bridge. It was quite windy though. Was there for 2 hours and only caught 3 blue gill, no bass bites even. Any suggestions on spots to fish? Kind of a disappointment to drive 40 mins out and not get any :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts