close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning pontoons

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Star1pup, Oct 2, 2005.

1. I plan to pull my pontoon boat and get it ready for winter myself this year, but not sure what solutiion to use to clean the pontoons. The marina used some sort of acid solution when they did it. Can anyone help?

2. If you check at your local marina they can point you in the right direction, as far as brand names go, personal preference.

Good Luck, Happy Scrubbing!

J

3. Star1pup,
    I'd tell you I sell acid, but that may be against OGF rules, so I'll say that many auto detail/appearance products suppliers, such as myself, sell various strengths of wheel acid, mostly hydrofloric, sulphuric, aceatic and oxcylic acid mixes.
    I know of Eagle One Brand (Valvoline), Kardol Aluma-brite ( a bit stronger), Car Brite makes a good acid.
    Be sure to test it in a small area first. Start with a relatively weak dilution ratio and work your way up to strength that works best for your pontoons.
    This will probably turn your aluminum to a whiter color, they can be polished to a bright almost chrome look, if desired, and if you want to work your tail off.
    Let me know if I can find answers to any other questions about this.
    Thanks
    Jeff

4. I bought some Toon-Brite at the marina. I'll let you know how it works.Bill

5. There you go, something specific for the pontoons.
    Be careful with acid, (goes without saying, right Bill? I've seen kids in detail shops burn their faces, eyes, and thousands of dollars worth of oem and custom wheels with acid).
    Follow directions, stronger acids, per the Material Data Safety Sheet, will burn your bone and deep tissue, before you feel or see skin burns. The damage can be severe, and permanent.
    Just a word to the wise.
    Jeff