Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to figure out my tilt problem on my stinger outdrive, well, Pulled out the motor, it was running pretty good. Decided to clean the armature and brushes. That is were I found the problem. Split the housing and out poured about 1/4 cup of oil...... must of came up the tilt gear housing.

Any one have this issue before or knows a good way to clean the oil out of the windings and armature?

I beleive the motor is fine just not good connection on comutater and brushed because of the oil.

Any help would be great.

Larry

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would go to an electronics store (ie radio shack) and get an aeresol electrical parts cleaner. Spray it down good and be sure to let it run out and any residue to dry adequetly. Follow the instructions on the package and you should be good to go.

I would also try to find the source of the oil. Cleaning it isn't going to solve the problem if it just gets more oil in it the next time it is used.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would also try to find the source of the oil. Cleaning it isn't going to solve the problem if it just gets more oil in it the next time it is used.

The tilt gear housing seals were out, so I am assuming that the water pushed the oil up the shaft housing into the motor. This is the only way I can see oil getting into it. I have already resealed the Tilt clutch housing.

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,509 Posts
Napa stores carry an Electrical Contact Cleaner.
It wont harm the windings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts