close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cleaning lures???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by johnboy111711, Jan 10, 2005.

1. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

what do you use to clean lures? I am planning to either try wd40 or windex...reelmagic costs too much, also, i want to prevent rust. any advice?

2. ..... never mind it's not within the TOS

3. If the lure body needs cleaned. Dishwashing soap and water and a toothbrush work for any water soluable debris. WD 40 will work fine for non water soluable debris. If you have any concern about hooks its best to replace them. I keep a supply of stainless steel rings and Mustad black Nickel triple grip hook on hand for replacements. Then there is little concern of them rusting. If there is any doubt of them being sharp, I also will replace them.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I have some replacement gamstaku's but I am mainly wanting to prevent rust with mu worm hooks, also, a few spinnerbaits have a touch or rust I want to get rid of along with lubing the swivels.

5. Use WD 40 and 0000 steel wool to clean up any existing rust. Use nickel plated worm hooks and remove Senko's at the end of the day. They are loaded with salt. Also I have been using the rust preventer chips in all my boxes. They work great. You can get them at Kames. Just break on off the strip and throw in each box.

6. i was going to post a question similar to johnboys. what should i use to clean my lures and tackle box to get ready for the spring? instead of debris i am more concerned with scent. just soap and water? or would that leave a soapy scent? i suppose if i rinsed them off well enough it would be okay, but are there any other/better remedys?

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

One soap that works well and doesn't leave a scent is scentfree soap you use to wash your hunting Clothes. You only need a very small amount. I agree with the WD and 0000 steel wool. another way to keep rust off your lures and out of your tackle box is by putting the shipping foam (Thin type) or coark in each tray. AS most have also said, replace hooks if they are rusted or have ben sharpened a few times. Nice project for the winter.

8. Use baking soda and water and a toothbrush. It will remove the scent and clean.