close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning Fish Question?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RiverWader, May 19, 2007.

1. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

I hit up a local pond tonite a caught a few Bass to keep for dinner, As I was cleaning them I noticed a White Spot in the meat. Can anyone tell me what it is ?? Ive kept fish from this pond all the time , this is the first time its been in the meat . Any one know??

2. I don't know anything about pond fish but on the net it talks about tropical fish with white spots disease. Sorry not of anymore help. If it were me, I tend to be paranoid when it comes to food, I'd not eat it. My husband says he might not eat that paticular part of the fish but he'd eat the rest. LOL!

3. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

I cut one out and it looks like a small worm maybe? Like I said Ive never seen this before.

4. That is a maggot from the fish eating a fly that layed eggs and they hatched into maggots .

OR,,,,, it could be a fish lice. I would not eat the fish at all myself. I caught a limit of Saugeye a couple of years ago down at Griggs Spillway. They were quite large so I said the heck with it. I will keep them just this once from there. When I fillet the first one he had a few of those little white worms all in the meat. I threw them all out. I wasn't going to take the chance.

Personally, I wouldn't a bass anyway.