close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning chalky boat??

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by exexec, Nov 16, 2004.

1. I'd like your ideas on the best/easiest way to clean up an older fiberglass boat. Someone told me to use sno bowl toilet cleaner-said the acid nature really does a good job?

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I bought a used baot last year that had been sitting for quite a while. It had a lot of fiberglass oxidation (if there is such a thing). I tried a couple different products with no luck. I then tried Turtle Wax's Color Back. It worked great.

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Use Dupont or some other brand of rubbing compound to remove any old wax and oxidation. It's a good idea to only do an area approx. 3ft. x 3ft. at a time it's going to take a lot of good old fashioned elbow grease. You may want to consider using an electric buffer. Once it's all stripped off apply a good quality marine or automotive wax.

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Get a buffer, with a coarse wool pad. Get some 3M finish restorer. Buff an area. Then apply a product called New Finish. Available at K-mart, Meijers etc. New Finish is made up of diesel fuel with a plastic polymer suspended in it and some other mysterious goodies. We had it checked at the lab and thats exactley what it is. (smell it). But the good news is, it works. It this doesn,t work its too far gone so just hide the oxidation with Pledge furniture wax. Have fun. :) LakeRaider<><>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. I used sno bol. Yes I can hear the chuckles but it did a great job. Now off to patch some holes and then paint her up over the winter.