Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use some glazed clay crocks to corn deer.
The one I use the most ( 5 gallon size) the last few years would have a trace of salt or calcium on it. I rinse or lightly wash them before /after each use. Since noticing this I’ve really cleaned it last year and it still had it on it this year again. This year I cleaned then filled it with water and let it sit in the utility tub. It’s been full of water since before Christmas and is still growing salt/calcium deposits on the outside.
Picture is from yesterday.
Fluid Automotive tire Gas Composite material Font

Dishware Serveware Drinkware Liquid Gas

my question is - is this normal? I haven’t owned them since new but I’ve had them at least 12-15 yrs.
I can line it with a plastic bag but would just use a food grade bucket instead.
haven’t poisoned myself yet but never encountered this. I know the brine is salty but didn’t think it would penetrate the glaze.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We had one that done that with Kraut. We stopped using it and used a different one. Most of the white crocks with brown slip interior are fairly safe, but the all brown ones are often redware and unsafe, because of lead. I think the internal slip glaze breaks down and allows the more poreous clay to absorb the salt. MOst Newer crocks are made for show not use (made in the last 50 years) and I avoid them. Once a crock is cracked or compromised it is done in my book. Get another one and set that one aside, you'll never fix it. We collect stoneware and at one time had over 100 pieces and some we used. The food grade buckets are good but can transfer a plastic taste in acid foods, so use a liner. You can us that crock but you won't stop the leeching now. It will eventuall leak and turn the outside brownish. You could try some vinegar in the water.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!
Kinda what I was thinking but just needed some confirmation. I used to use a bucket and liner but thought the crocks were more nostalgic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts