Ohio Game Fishing banner

841 - 860 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I turned 60 this year. I still have to think about that every time I say it. I wasn't around long enough to have attended Woodstock but I have 6 older siblings who introduced me to rock & roll. Joe Walsh & the James gang was my first concert at the ohio state fair, I was 12. My next was black sabbath in cincy, I was 14. Someone got crushed to death against the gate waiting to get in. Pretty wild introduction to true r&r for a 14 year old.
I remember that death. Wasn't that when they stopped festival seating?
I'm only 5 years older.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, there is that. Plus, disc jockey Alan Freed (originally from Salem BTW) coined the phrase rock and roll in Cleveland. Also hosted his "Moondog Coronation Balls" featuring the rhythm & blues music that would morph into rock & roll. At the time WMMS in Cleveland was the perennial winner of Rolling Stone Magazine's "Best Rock and Roll Radio Station. Two DJs there, Jeff Kinsbach and Ed "Flash" Ference, campaigned like maniacs to get the rock hall there.

Now, let's what else I can find.

Two more Youngstown area bands. I'm not all that familiar with Morely Grey, but Left End was huge around here! They were a glam rock band, and the front man was much in the vein of Freddie Mercury.
You have a lot of great background.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,975 Posts
It happened in Cinci, but I believe it was for a Who concert! And Uncle T, I've been rock and rolling a while now. Turned 68 last month.

Reactions: Sgirl and 90690

·
Registered
36 Posts
It happened in Cinci, but I believe it was for a Who concert! And Uncle T, I've been rock and rolling a while now. Turned 68 last month.
Yea, me too. I was mowing today on my rider and jamming at the same time. I've got my Sanza MP3 player loaded up with about 20 albums. I bought some Beats (corded) headphones that work great. I was rocking out to stuff like this...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I remember that death. Wasn't that when they stopped festival seating?
I'm only 5 years older.
I don't recall that. It happened because they was an hour late opening the gate and by then everyone was pretty hopped up on various party supplies. Being 95 degrees wasn't helping . I was in total fascination of the whole thing . I think it was the bloody sabbath tour. I ended up seeing several concerts at that same venue. Jimmy Page, arrosmith, blueolstercolt.... forgive my spelling, dislexia kicks in when I'm tired.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The death of several at the Who concert in Cincinnati was definitely the end of festival seating in Cincinnati. It's sad that the concert went on without the Who even knowing what had happened. Kind of surprised that a fatality didn't happen sooner than it did with the chaos that I have seen at other previous concerts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The death of several at the Who concert in Cincinnati was definitely the end of festival seating in Cincinnati. It's sad that the concert went on without the Who even knowing what had happened. Kind of surprised that a fatality didn't happen sooner than it did with the chaos that I have seen at other previous concerts
Yes the who concert was a whole different kind of crazy. I didn't make it to that one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The promoters were after the almighty dollar. Prolly afraid if they told the Who they might of cancelled the show.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So is anyone from central ohio who would remember the battle of the bands that was held every summer at the Greenlawn ball park on Greenlawn ave. In columbus? Was local bands from all over ohio and was a pretty big deal when I was a teen.

·
The end is near
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #850
So is anyone from central ohio who would remember the battle of the bands that was held every summer at the Greenlawn ball park on Greenlawn ave. In columbus? Was local bands from all over ohio and was a pretty big deal when I was a teen.
Yea, although I'm here in central now, I wasn't during that time period.
How about some Floyd while we wait?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I remember them! They also had them at Valleyview!

·
The end is near
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #854
How about some Focus, Hocus Pocus?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nah, I'm from here...
A few years ago I was playing some music with a buddy of mine at a winery in Bolivar, when we decided on the spur of the moment to do this tune toward the end of the night. The crowd reaction blew our minds. We had the entire crowd singing every word at the top of their lungs. It's amazing how several bottles of wine really loosened everybody up...great night at one of our favorite places to play until they closed.

·
The end is near
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
A few years ago I was playing some music with a buddy of mine at a winery in Bolivar, when we decided on the spur of the moment to do this tune toward the end of the night. The crowd reaction blew our minds. We had the entire crowd singing every word at the top of their lungs. It's amazing how several bottles of wine really loosened everybody up...great night at one of our favorite places to play until they closed.
It's something to hear the entire crowd singing it at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown.
WV native Brad Paisley even sang it there. Lemme see if'n I can find that.

841 - 860 of 909 Posts