Ohio Game Fishing banner

821 - 840 of 909 Posts

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,975 Posts
Way back in the day, Brownsville Station played Youngstown several times a year. In there prime they rocked! Never saw them as a power trio with the guy in specs! That must be a later iteration. But I do remember the song!

·
8,975 Posts
Well, I looked for an edit function on my last post, but couldn't find one. So, I'll do it this way. For some reason, the post about Brownsville Station reminded me of an old Youngstown area bad named Biggy Rat. These folks rocked! I found a couple of vids of them on YouTube. The first is one I know you will all be familiar with, but it's a brilliant rendition. I hope to be able to post both vids since in the second vid they are missing their female lead singer. In the other she is front and center. A big, Mama Cass type girl, but Oh, could she wail! Here's some midwestern rock genius!

Now I'll go back and look for the other one.

OK, there it is. That's what was coming out of NE Ohio when I was coming up. I should look for more of this stuff that might be buried in the YouTube archives. There was a lot of great music and performances that came out of this area in that time. I remember reading a Rolling Stone article that said that there were more rock and roll bands performing, per capita, in NE Ohio, than any other place in the country!

It was a great time to be alive!

·
8,975 Posts
What the heck is this crap! The video I clicked on to after posting show up as the vid I posted? This is ridiculous. Hey, nods and admins, you better get busy! This is not right! I'll go back and try to repost my original, even though I shouldn't have to! Let's see what happens.

OK, let's try again!

Let's see if this holds!

Reactions: 90690

·
8,975 Posts
Well, this showed up shortly after i\I closed out the earlier one. It's good! I figure the OP has dialed into something!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well, I looked for an edit function on my last post, but couldn't find one. So, I'll do it this way. For some reason, the post about Brownsville Station reminded me of an old Youngstown area bad named Biggy Rat. These folks rocked! I found a couple of vids of them on YouTube. The first is one I know you will all be familiar with, but it's a brilliant rendition. I hope to be able to post both vids since in the second vid they are missing their female lead singer. In the other she is front and center. A big, Mama Cass type girl, but Oh, could she wail! Here's some midwestern rock genius!

Now I'll go back and look for the other one.

OK, there it is. That's what was coming out of NE Ohio when I was coming up. I should look for more of this stuff that might be buried in the YouTube archives. There was a lot of great music and performances that came out of this area in that time. I remember reading a Rolling Stone article that said that there were more rock and roll bands performing, per capita, in NE Ohio, than any other place in the country!

It was a great time to be alive!
Damn!!!! That's some fantastic old school rock and roll right there!!! And you are right, that gal can wail!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
After listening to you talk about all the talent coming out of NE Ohio, I now have a better understanding why they chose Cleveland for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dang! All classics. They quit making our music. They're just digitally reproducing it. How many LP's does everybody have? I still have my old setup with an Acoustics turntable and my Sansui receiver. It has 10 increments for volume and I've never had it past 5. Prolly why I have tinnitus today.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dang! All classics. They quit making our music. They're just digitally reproducing it. How many LP's does everybody have? I still have my old setup with an Acoustics turntable and my Sansui receiver. It has 10 increments for volume and I've never had it past 5. Prolly why I have tinnitus today.
I probably have a few hundred albums and a few hundred cassette tapes and not sure how many cd's. I have a stereo that plays them all. If I had to choose which I like best it would be albums. I still watch movies on vhs. When they was changing over to dvd's I bought a couple vhs players so I would always have one. I guess I am one who doesn't like change. : o)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I probably have a few hundred albums and a few hundred cassette tapes and not sure how many cd's. I have a stereo that plays them all. If I had to choose which I like best it would be albums. I still watch movies on vhs. When they was changing over to dvd's I bought a couple vhs players so I would always have one. I guess I am one who doesn't like change. : o)
Hmm, you're not as old as me or you'd have some 8 tracks around there somewhere. 📼

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
After listening to you talk about all the talent coming out of NE Ohio, I now have a better understanding why they chose Cleveland for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Got a house rented at Lake Erie next week. If the winds don’t calm down we are going to the R&R hall of fame.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmm, you're not as old as me or you'd have some 8 tracks around there somewhere. 📼
I turned 60 this year. I still have to think about that every time I say it. I wasn't around long enough to have attended Woodstock but I have 6 older siblings who introduced me to rock & roll. Joe Walsh & the James gang was my first concert at the ohio state fair, I was 12. My next was black sabbath in cincy, I was 14. Someone got crushed to death against the gate waiting to get in. Pretty wild introduction to true r&r for a 14 year old.

·
8,975 Posts
Well, there is that. Plus, disc jockey Alan Freed (originally from Salem BTW) coined the phrase rock and roll in Cleveland. Also hosted his "Moondog Coronation Balls" featuring the rhythm & blues music that would morph into rock & roll. At the time WMMS in Cleveland was the perennial winner of Rolling Stone Magazine's "Best Rock and Roll Radio Station. Two DJs there, Jeff Kinsbach and Ed "Flash" Ference, campaigned like maniacs to get the rock hall there.

Now, let's what else I can find.

Two more Youngstown area bands. I'm not all that familiar with Morely Grey, but Left End was huge around here! They were a glam rock band, and the front man was much in the vein of Freddie Mercury.

821 - 840 of 909 Posts