close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clamp on boat seat mounts

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by lg_mouth, Jun 14, 2004.

1. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

Has anyone tried those clamp on boat seat mounts from Wal Mart? I am considering get a couple for my 10' john boat and was curious how well, or not well, they work. Thanks for the help OGFers!

lg_mouth
    Revelation 3:20

2. I've got one that I've used a couple of times in the Hamilton County Park boats. The only problem I've had is caused by the 6" extension that I have mounted between the base and seat. If you lean too far sideways the whole mess will tip. They probably work great without the extension.

3. I have two in my garage I used to use on rented boats at Mogadore and LaDue. I used to experience the tipping problem at least once a trip, especially if I let my friend mount them in the boat. :D I would try to tighten them as much as possible which would cut down on the frequency but they would eventually loosen and I would go tippin'. Mine do not have any extensions on them. Much better than just the bench but not quite like permanently mounted. Hope this helps.

4. lg_mouth

lg_mouth It's Trigger Time!!!

I was afraid that would happen. I guess I will look for another Father's Day Gift then. Thanks for the info guys, saved me some time and money. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Lg_mouth
    Romans 10:9-10

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Lgmouth:
    That shows what the site is about, see man we just saved you your hard earned money. You most likely saved someone else that had the same thought. See you may have already gave something back.

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I had them in my first boat. It was a 12 jon boat. I tightened them with a wrench and left them in permanently and never had a problem. I did not use a extension though.

7. If it were my boat I'd either permanently mount the seats or add small pin bases to allow the seats to be removed for flipping the boat.

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Cabelas sell a mount that is for mounting to a bench style boat seat. It has holes on the end clamps for a permanent mount style, but can be taken off in the future. I've had two of them on my 16 footer for three years, and haven't had a single complaint.

I just looked it up, it's called the Cuda clamp, part # DE-01-0422. You will have to buy the swivel base separately.

9. UncleBud

UncleBud Retired and Happy

I bought two from Cabelas, and when I mounted them, there was no way I could get the wing nuts tight enough to hold. So I measured the bolts to get the shortest span, cut them, and placed nuts on them,took a deep socket and tightened them. Have had no problems with tipping or coming loose. But, when I find the best place for them on the seats, I will make them permenet.