CJ Walleye

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Herlunker, Apr 5, 2008.

1. I'm new to the area hoping someone can give me information on CJ walleye fishing - haven't been there yet. I would like to understand the dock situation - in yet? If not how hard for a single person to launch? Any tips or suggestions on fishing areas?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

best regards,
    Herlunker

2. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Herlunker,

There are plenty of guys who fish for the Walleyes that will help you out, CJ Brown has new ramps and Docks all are in and it is no problem launching from there 6 boats at one time, good luck and enjoy time on the water at CJ

Doc

3. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

Glad to have a new C.J. Walleye seeker on the forum. We've actually had a couple of sub-standard years for numbers but some nice-sized fish have been caught. You will have your choice of jigging or trolling at C.J. In general, the jiggers get more fish and the trollers get bigger but, of course, that's not always true. I greatly prefer jigging for a whole bunch of reasons. My personal best jigging on CJ is around 6# although I've seen 7 & 8 pounders caught right beside me. Every year a couple of 10 pounders come out of there - usually by trollers. The average is closer to around 16 - 19 inches. Remember, there's a 15" minimum for kept fish on C.J. Anything over 21 inches or so is considered "big" I don't keep any bigger than that because I always have plenty to eat and I like to give them a chance to get bigger.

I guess it's possible to catch C.J. Walleyes in April but I never do any good until the first of May. Then it can be pretty consistent into August and up to Labor Day. Memorial Day to Mid-July is the time you do not want to miss.

For techniques search the forum for posts by me, fshman_165, cjbrown, eyeguy, Hotntot, and TroyDave. I'm sure there are others I've missed - no offense, guys. Don't ask Doctor about 'eyes, though. He only likes those ugly big horny critters.

See you out there.

MC

4. where is CJ? Also, it that an acronym or is that the name of the lake?

5. BlueBoat98

It's just NorthEast of Springfield off Rt. 4. C.J. stands for Clarence J. Brown Reservoir. He was the U.S. Representative for the 7th district from 1963 to 1983 which covers the time the reservoir was impounded.

MC

6. The new ramp at C.J. is one of the nicest in central ohio and good luck fishing there , good crappie fishing also. This time of year , Indian Lake gets my vote , saugeyes abound and the panfishing is great !! Welcome to the area and good luck !

Keep fishin,

7. Took the baot out for the first time this morning to C.J. - you guys were right - the ramps are great. probably the best I've seen anywhere. I like the new sectioned dock design that allows the whole dock to float or just sit on the ramp when the water is down. big improvement. I also like the long section for single people who need to dock their boat while getting their vehicle - really helps prevent them from getting in the ramp traffic and tying up others.

unfortunately no fish today

8. Doctor

Herlunker,

Quote:I also like the long section for single people who need to dock their boat while getting their vehicle - really helps prevent them from getting in the ramp traffic and tying up others.

Unfortunately most of the boaters don't know to tie up a boat on the long side dock and keep the ramps free, they still tie up to the short docks during the busy season out there they get all jammed up, but that's boating and we live with it, now the old ramp was a major headache.

Hey Mike, I'll be on the lake all day tomorrow maybe I'll get a chance to post some good pictures of the best looking fish in the water:p

Doc

9. BlueBoat98

Glad you made it out. I'm resting up for an Erie trip in 10 days. I'll need all my strength for all the fish we'll catch up there (I hope.) I'll be on C.J. pretty much every weekend after that for the whole Summer. If you are jigging on C.J. you won't have too many days getting skunked. I've caught respectable fish of as many as 8 species all in one day in just 2 or 3 spots.

Doc, I'll watch for those pics. Don't let us down.

See you out there.

MC

10. Doc-that's a pitty - what gets me is when there are 6people on the boat and it swings over to block both lanes... but that's boating. guess they are fixing CC main ramp this year - hope that will help

Blue - I'm also headed up to Erie on the 25th. Going to Presque Isle for smallies and LM. Also catch a fair amout of steelhead there too. wierdly - never fished for walleye there, but have caught 50 smallies 30 LM and 3 musky in a day.

So where are these "spots" you like? - I did find some deeper holes and a ridgeline not too far out from the ramp toward the marina and a point that extends out from the marina (that's hard to see 1-2 ft. under and wondered how may people left their transoms behind there!!). Tried jigging some there and at the dam with no luck. also tried the main lake point and then drifting. nope. seemed like the upper lake was shallow and didn't seem too interesting.

11. BlueBoat98

Actually, we mostly jig on humps and not holes. There are very few secret spots out there. You'll see the boats in packs on the major spots. If you have a GPS (highly recommended) you'll soon be locking in your favorites. There tend to be "sweet spots" within the jigging areas. We often get pretty close to each other but you have to respect the other guys and not "paylake" them by getting into their space. You'll see what I mean.

There are some really good spots in the North end but they are fairly isolated and harder to find w/o GPS.

That shallow point by the Marina is usually marked with a buoy. The lake is still 2 feet below where it will be in a month so it's not quite so bad but definitely to be avoided.

It's still early and cold for the Walleye jig bite to set up. The fish will be in post-spawn mode for a few weeks and, although hungry, can be really hard to find. There are some nice Crappies out there that bite in April. I'm not an expert on them but they can be found.

MC

12. Doctor

Herlunker,

Here's a picture of some of the fingers that stick out of the Marina. As you enter the Marina, the one that is closest is on the left side, about 50 yards from the mouth of the Marina. The second finger is close to the point that goes back into the bay that is in front of the Handicap fishing area, the farthest one away is the one that is normally marked with a buoy. This area was part of the Old Springfield Sand and Gravel pits, that's why there are some deep holes 30 foot in this area.

I took these pictures when the lake was lowered 13 feet to construct the new ramps and breaker wall. I have over a 130 pictures of this lake when it was lowered but mostly of the North end of the lake because that is where my whiskered friends I like to chase hangout..............Doc

[​IMG]