close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CJ Report for 6/8/04

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshman_165, Jun 8, 2004.

1. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Took my son out at 6 am went straight to the north end, fished near the old railroad trestle. Fished a flat in 9 fow. At 6:30 the eyes went bananas.
    Me and the kid pulled doubles till 9:30, that is when 1) I had to drop the boy off at the ramp so he could go to lift weights with the football team and 2) Buy 4 more dozen nitecrawlers, because we burned up the first 4 dozen. I did not even bother to count em. I went back and the fish kept getting more aggressive and bigger. I did count the fish I caught after I went back, 23, and quite a few were 18 to 20 inches. This lake is known for June and July being good numbers months but this is nuts. We did catch quite a few 10, 12 and 14 inch fish which means that the next 2 years are gonna be special. When I left at 11:30 they were still hitting. I did keep my limit, for some fillets, which I normally do not do. :D :D :D

2. Great job on the eyes! Does the state stock walleyes in there every year or do they reproduce?

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Twistertail, I beleive that the state stocks them every year. The state collects the eggs from the females at CJ in order to make the saugeyes that they stock all over the state.

4. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Basspro,
    You are correct, the state stocks them and there seems to be a very high survival rate. This lake never ceases to amaze me. CJ is deficient when it comes to structure so subtle changes can act as magnets. The spot we fished produces all summer long. :) :)

5. So is there much reproduction of the walleyes in the lake?

6. Stretch

Stretch Wishin I was fishin

I read in the paper where they just stocked around 300,000 fingerlings this spring..............Stretch

7. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

It depends on who you ask. You will have some dnr people tell you there is none, but you will catch eyes that don't fit into the stocking cycle.There are
    dnr people who say that there is natural reproduction but is a very small percentage :eek:

8. itroll2

itroll2 fishin IS heaven on earth

my map shows NO railroad tressle. fished this lake a couple times. caught fish trolling the humps & old gravel bed. also caught fish jigging the rocks by the damn. i really could use some help here. im taking my son there this sat. as the women are having a baby shower. im gonna be a grandpaw. son doesnt fish much caus i burnt him out as a kid. would be nice if we caught some eyes. from all ive read, you are north , crawlers, flat, creek bed, bounce/ spin. could you be more specific? dont worry, we cant catch fish. just like tryin and being on the water. appreciate any help. driven up from middletown.

9. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

There are FEW maps that show it. That is why it is such a hard spot to find on this lake. If you follow the creek channel from the no wake markers about 200 yards into the north end you will find it. You mentioned trolling, it is picking up,
    so feel free to try it. You mentioned that I should give more details. This is the best I can do, due to the map you have. Jigs with crawlers are hot too.