close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CJ eye report 6/30/04

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshman_165, Jun 30, 2004.

1. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Went out at 7am with jr. The stable pressure sure has gotten them biting again.
    The boy quit counting at 48 eyes, with 5 really nice keepers. There are LARGE numbers of small fish on the flats in the north end. Bug hatch is still going strong and it is best to use a 1/16th oz jighead with about a 1/4 of a crawler. The trick is to keep it on the bottom and move it ssslowly, keeping tension on the line.
    The bite is really light and we missed at least 20 fish at the hookup. They are laying on the bottom lazily slurpin bugs, so moving too quickly will cut down on the pick ups. A note to trollers: there are people moving real fast (4 to 4.5)
    picking up some nice fish. They are targeting areas that they can bounce a crank along the bottom without snagging, generally 8 to 10 fow. The lake is recovering from the high pressure from last week. Fishing will only get better as the weather stabilizes and the bug hatch starts to slow down. :)

2. catking

catking Banned

Always look forward to your reports. Sounds like this year at 'Brown is the best in many. Nice going !!!! THE CATKING :)

3. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Catking,
    I'll keep em coming. This is such a great lake for many different species. Jr caught a few 8 to 10 lb carp today while jigging for eyes. That will always wake ya up :) And Doc has made sure that people are aware of the great cattin on CJ. I'm just letting people know how good an eye lake it is. Most locals are really tight lipped about it. I am not.

:D

4. Thanks fishman, I always enjoy reading your reports too. Haven't fished the Brown for a couple of years now, but I know the size and numbers are there! Keep em commin.

5. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Springfield, right on 70 between Dayton and Columbus. The lake is located northeast of the city. State route 4 runs right by it (It is in Buck Creek state park)

6. I am going to cj brown for the first time sunday,can anyone give me some tips for fishing this lake.Thanks for any help!My brother is driving up there today so we will know how to get there sun am.btw we will be trying for eyes Daryl

7. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Truck,
    PM me and I will help out. It is important to get a map so you can understand the layout of the lake. Hot tip: Be ready for a madhouse this holiday weekend.
    Try to get off the lake by 10 am, you will thank me :)

8. itroll2

itroll2 fishin IS heaven on earth

da fshman DOES know cj. i can vouch 4 him. by the way fshman had too many drops to make it wed. but the ot helped me buy that gps unit you suggested. if you could be so kind to pm me all those locations like u promised, im gonna try 2 make it up sat. am & beat the yahoos. thanky kindly. p.s. from what ive heard & read btween u & the doc, the lake is well monitored. we all thank you both.

9. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Itroll,
    Had'nt heard from ya for a few days. I'll pm you with what ya need, sometime tommorow afternoon.

10. catking

catking Banned

DA KING !!! will drop you off a map truck, so you know where these guys are steering you :D THE CATKING !!!

11. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Be prepared for a boat inspection. They will check you in the lot for...life jackets, horn(noise maker), lights, charged fire extinguisher, registration and anchor & rope. I think that's all. Jim :eek:

12. itroll2

:cool: thanks 4 the heads up, mr.fishohio. appreciate the warning. last time i passed so should be good 2 go.

13. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Took my Nephew out this am, He did keep count and we boated 71 eyes! 12 were keeper size. I kept 6 because the boy wanted Walleye for lunch. Just got done frying em up :) he's eating as I type. The fish are all over the roadbed that runs from the ramps towards the campground. They were all within 2 feet of the bottom and jigs and crawler were the ticket (again). They are still just picking up the jig, very lightly. Note to Itroll2: Remember the ridge and access road I showed you? :D :D :D cover it well and once you start poppin em be ready for LOTS of company. It kinda got crowded around us near the end. I am
    PM ing ya what I promised.

14. itroll2

hey, im ready. i do believe the boss is commin with me. i cant tell her it might rain, shes n it 4 the tan. but she will ask where i got that gps gizmo.

15. Hit the water around 7am and fished until 11am with no luck. Saw one boat catch fish all day on the road bed, but no luck for me 100 yds away. Some guys said they caught a few, but they also said the bite could be better. I agree! I am new to CJ so I still have to figure it out. Any suggestions are welcome!

16. fshman_165

fshman_165 CJ Eye Hunter

Crazy4,
    I sent ya some advice, Pm me and we can meet at the lake.