Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Junior Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with the name and contact info for that boat shop/bait shop on Rte 40 at the turn to CJ? I haven't been down that way for awhile. Thanks.

·
AKA Dnavarroj
1,368 Posts
Marty,
937-322-3277
Good people and low prices. Tell him the pain in the A$$ sent you.:D

·
Banned
6,234 Posts
I am boatless this year because of the crappy work/service he provides, we took the boat in for just a regular tune-up (was running fine), ran worse after, put a recomended fuel pump on, ran worse, had carb rebuilt, ran worse, took back 2 other times (water pump?, final tune), after finally being informed everything was again perfect, motor goes "up in smoke" halfway across CJ (one and a half hours of paddling before being helped by a person who had the same story). In talking to others I'm not the only one in this situation. I for one will never set foot on that lot again.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My dad was friends with Marty's father and knew his brother Chuck well. I know Chuck treated people right when he had the carryout/bait shop. Unfortunately Marty's shop doesn't have the best reputation for outboard work.

Just before the 4th of July my neighboor came over and asked me for my mechanic's contact information. He had taken his 150 Johnson there for a new water pump - it ran fine when he took it in; just general maintenance to replace the pump/impeller. When he got it back it wouldn't run right at the dock; he brought it home and put the muffs on and it wouldn't run right, nor was it pumping ANY water! Long story short he said they gave him the "run around" and didn't want to look at again without charging the hourly rate.

The boat is now down with my guy and he is reparing properly. This is not to say other things could go wrong with a outboard in a shop (unrelated to the requested repair), but this was obviously bad service and my guy said the simple water pump job wasn't done right. My neighboor is about as easy going as anybody I know - he probably didn't fight them too hard, but geesh!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
eyeguy - you JUST beat me:D

Well - there is 4 bad reports just this morning; 3 from locals. That would tell me enough:G

·
AKA Dnavarroj
1,368 Posts
Sounds like a lot of bad experiences. Sorry to hear that.
I have had very good luck with marty. No complaints from this side of the fence.
Well, I can only comment on my experiences, and they have been favorable.
All i can say is you have to take what everyone said in to consideration, before you go or dont go there. Good luck.:eek:

·
Where's Waldo?
1,135 Posts
I probably should stay out of this because "...if you can't say something nice..."

Marty is a nice enough guy and I've "heard" that he has given some good deals on boats. Like the others, however, I cannot vouch for his service department. In my case, the "dog gear" on my Evinrude 35 went out or broke or whatever dog gears do. Six Hundred and some dollars later it was fixed but I had developed a leak in the gearcase. I admit I didn't try to get them to fix it because I didn't want to be without my boat for another couple of weeks in June. I just made sure it was always topped off. When I finally tore into it with a guy that works for me and his brother, we found that the mechanic had trashed the main O-ring in the propeller drive assembly when he had tapped it home. I had the kit and a new impeller so we replaced everything. Hasn't leaked a drop in four years.

See you out there this weekend.

MC

·
Registered
65 Posts
There aren't many local choices for boat repair in Springfield. Marty sure beats the "boathouse" when they were operating but he jams you on prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts