CJ Brown Walleye

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Doctor, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I see the nets are in at CJ for Walleye sampling, I was there at 11 today but they were completed for the day boat was on the trailer, lake is muddy where the nets are located, anybody hear how the sampling is going this year?

2. I talked to a buddy of mine that was out there yesterday. They pulled (1) net and all the females were still hard an not flowing yet so they didnt mess. I'm suprised they were checking again this morn...

3. Doctor

That water is still pretty cold, don't know much about these walleye baitfish ( Blueboat98) will like that one, hey Mike, but the lake is under 40 degrees right now.

4. Hey Doc,
    Talked with my same buddy today at lunch and he was out there this morn. He said they had a 12lb+ in the net today and she was really flowing..So they did weigh her and returned her to the lake pronto..
    Hot-n-tot said they did bring 1 load to the dock to weigh & measure and some scale samples, that was it for today..He said there were alot of nice size males along with some short fish. I sure was gald to hear that the shorties are showing uo in the nets this year.

5. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

Tim, I still prefer my toothy, good eatin', critters to the horny rascals you chase. Especially when they come in the 12 pound variety. As for the water temp, I'll be out there tomorrow with my camera but not on that freezin' cold lake. If I get any pics I'll put 'em here.

See you out there.

MC

6. anybody gettin into the whisker's yet? thought maybe with all that rain they would really be bitin

7. BlueBoat98

A little nippy out there this morning but not so bad if you're dressed for it. The ODNR team was out there working for us. They're getting decent numbers of Walleyes of various sizes in the nets but most are not yet flowing. They will be out again tomorrow and most or all of next week at about the same time. This boat came in at about 11:00 A.M. or shortly after. Good chance to show the kids some nice Walleyes. They weren't measuring or weighing this morning but these are perhaps 7 - 9 pound fish.

Pretty nice looking "bait..."

Be sure to thank these guys for their efforts. I'm sure it's fun for a while but sticking your hands into that cold water would get old in a hurry.

See you out there.

MC

Attached Files:

8. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Should the nets be out by next weekend? If they aren't are you still allowed to fish? (From Boat)

9. BlueBoat98

You are still allowed to fish. Just stay the heck away from the nets.

They will likely keep the nets in until they have enough eggs or it stops being productive for them.

MC

10. Nice pic's Mike.... I'll be out in the morn to get my 'Eyes" full. Been a long winter!!! I think I see some light at the end of the tunnel. :)

11. That eye in the middle picture is a PIG:B It always amazes me the quality and size fo the walleye that CJ produces!

Thanks for the pics Blueboat!

12. Doctor

Mike,
    Those are just a tad to large for me to use as bait:D:D
    Those are some nice fish, I know CJ Brown has even bigger, figure the state record is in that lake, there just tough to catch because of all the forage.

zpyles_00,

The water is still pretty cold Larry told me today that the bait is gathering back in the North end so it won't be too long, the wind is the major factor right now, it has been coming out of the North for two weeks, once it's starts blowing from the South the feed bag will begin, as always I'll post when it starts up, I saw on the chart today that the lake is almost to summer pool from all the rain that we have gotten........Doc

13. BlueBoat98

The lake is almost at summer pool but I guarantee that the Corps guys will pull the plug in a couple of days and take it clear back down the two feet to winter pool before starting to bring it up on April 1. Take a look at the far left side of the graph where the same thing happened last year. Those guys live and die by trying to keep the lake on that green line. Who knows how many fish will go down the drain? Their only mission is flood control even though that lake has never gotten near its capacity.

MC

14. just to lazy to look it up, WHERE is cj brown lake?? .I:M in canton ohio.

15. BlueBoat98

Couple of miles Northeast of Springfield - Maybe 40 miles west of Columbus. Pretty good hike from Canton.

MC

16. Are the DNR's nets clearly marked if someone was to be out there fishing? I know I wont make it out for a couple weeks, was just wondering.

17. BlueBoat98

They have buoys on the end and then run toward the shore. Unless you are running at high speed way too close to the bank you won't hit them. There are only four of them, one near the island, one on the north end of the beach, one across the lake on the Herztler House side and one near the Marina. They are usually finished by the first of April so you probably won't even see them at all.

MC

18. Doctor

Yes they have yellow buoys on the nets, Not sure how many they put out this year, generally there is a set over near the riprap South of the marina, it would be straight away from the launch ramps, another set is over on the island that sticks out from the beach, nets are located SouthWest of the island, there is another set at the handicap walkout over on the main dam it would be to the Northeast over near that shelter house, the nets are set in about 8 foot or less of water, I think the wing lead is in about 10 or more of water, as you drive over the main road you can see the net that is located off the island...........Doc

19. Doctor

Mike ,
    I was one minute behind you.........lol...........Doc

20. BlueBoat98

Yup. Guess we oughta be fishin' instead of sitting here with the computers.

MC