close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CJ Brown- Walleye

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FINN, Oct 30, 2007.

1. FINN

FINN Senior Member

Going to take the boat to CJ Brown on thursday, last trip before the boat gets put away for winter, and I need your advice. What speed should i troll at or should i troll? whats working best and any kind of advice will be helpful.

thanks,
    finns

2. You might post this in the SW Ohio thread. CJ Brown is considered in the SW.

3. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

i posted on the other one but i wanna add a lil more - there are no walleye in cjb ;)

4. theres walleye in cj brown...they stock it

5. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

If you think there are no Walleye in there just watch the ODNR netters come in with those 10 pounders full of eggs at the end of March. There is a long history of good Walleye fishing out there so they'll be back. After this crappy year I still think they flushed several thousand of them into the creek when they dropped the lake two years ago. It was like most of that whole generation was just gone this year.

See you out there - in the Spring!

MC

6. Blue, I think you might infer from NSOhioFisherman's emoticon that his post is dripping with sarcasm.

7. FINN

FINN Senior Member

am i out of season to walleye fish out there NWSW fisherman? or are they not really biting?

8. u ever seen wedding crashers....ITS WEDDING SEASON
    basicallY ITS WALLEYE SEASON....dunno about cjb during these seasons

9. BlueBoat98

Actually, C.J. is pretty much a Spring-Summer lake. Mid-May to July is prime time with some action up to Labor Day. Yes, they can be caught year round but I don't know anyone who has found a dependable pattern in the fall and winter. Most of us go to Indian after the weather cools because it is definitely not a hot weather fishin' hole.

MC

10. Try pullin shad raps and rip shads along break in front of main beach area. Watch your sonar for the fish, see where they are holding and adjust the depth of the lures. They'll be there.

11. I was looking at the don't eat list for OH waters and they list the walleye and bluegill out of CJ as a 2 meal a month slot anyone know what is in the walleye and bluegill ? (pcb mercury )

12. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

thanks man obV thats wat i meant-
    FINN read blueboats posts i have to agree this year has been crap and a whole year class is missing. If u do try it u should be able to find some type of fidh jiggin... and the walleye as far as i can tell arent biting... lol

13. BlueBoat98

The advisory for CJ is actually two meals per week. That's the highest (best) level that they have. It was upgraded from last year in February. The standard for most of the lakes in Ohio is one meal per week and it goes down to "do not eat!" from there.

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fishadvisory/overall.html

All of our lakes have assorted crap including PCB's, lead, mercury, etc. in them mostly from agricultural runoff of herbicides and pesticides. In some areas sewer systems and industrial poison do more than their share. C.J. is probably cleaner than most because there is little or no industry upstream and it has a relatively small drainage area.

Probably more than you wanted to read.

MC

14. C.J. Brown Reservoir (Clark County) - Walleye are being caught along the submerged humps by anglers. Try trolling with Hot-N-Tots, Rat-L-Traps or worm harnesses. Fish the bait in 6 to 10 feet of water. Good crappie fishing spots are in the marina and in the no-wake zones, using minnows. Redworms and wax worms are producing bluegill around the docks and submerged structure. White bass are also being reported; try around the ramp with spinners and shiny spoons

http://www.wkyc.com/outdoors/news_article.aspx?storyid=76760

15. BlueBoat98

Not to be negative, but after years of experience I can tell you that the state reports ALWAYS say that "Walleyes are being caught..." That does not put them into the net. I respect most of the work that ODNR does but they do have a PR aspect that is not going to tell you not to bother going to a lake. I'm a lot more likely to believe the guys on this board whom I know have done their time on the water and will (usually) be telling the truth.

MC

16. Yep it is 2 meals a week and brown bullhead from almost all waters can be eaten 2 meals a week . Who would of ever thonk that .

17. Well, I've never fished CJ since I'm from NE Ohio, but I do fish a few lakes that are similiar with a lot of guys saying "there's no walleye in that Lake!" Well, I catch them there, a friend of mine owns a baitshop off it's banks and he has a few pictures of 6-10 pound fish that weren't supposed to be in there.:)

I think reality can be foudn somewhere in between the DNR's reports and "there's no walleye in that lake!"

If you're trolling, you'll be able to cover a lot of water and should be able to produce. But if something isn't working, don't be afraid to mix it up, and not just your area or lure, but depths as well.

In my opinion, I'd focus on those submerged humps during the day and then, if you can locate a nicely defined weedline, fish that in the evening and on.