Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out last night and walked/climed the RipRap areas and was able to build quite the variety of CJ Brown fish sampler pack. Was mainly targeting Walleye to begin with the ol trusty 1/8 oz jig and twister tail and got nothing. Decided to apply what I learned from years past and down size to a 1/16oz jig, that move got the party started. Allowed me to fish a bit slower and closer to the bank without getting snagged in the rocks. Several white bass at first but eventually got some decent crappie and a random perch. As the pan fish bite slowed down, the walleye picked up, first was a 18” male hanging real close to the bank followed by 5 other sub 15” fish. Wish I could have stayed longer as unlocking the daily CJ Brown walleye secret is not very common, but happy with what I was able to get.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Went out this morning for my first serious walleye expedition of the year. Was kind of breezy first thing and I almost left. Was so busy trying to control the boat I wasn't paying enough attention to my pole and couldn't feel bites very well. But the wind finally laid down some by late morning. Tried my usual jig and worm and caught several fish but no eyes and nothing over 6 inches except a white bass. Also tried casting and jigging spoons with only a bluegill and a white bass. Switched to a shiver minnow and caught 3 eyes and a largemouth. The eyes were 14, 15 and 22. Was fishing 9 to 13 fow. Water temp was just over 66 in the morning and just under 67 when I left around 1:30.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Had a busy morning. We caught 5 eyes on jig and worm early. 2 keepers and one was really nice. Then the wind kicked up and could not feel the jig anymore so switched to casting shiver minnows. Caught 9 more, only one a keeper. Fish early morning came from 5' to 8' of water. Late morning-mid day fish were in 10' to 14'.The white bass were really hungry today also, a few with some size. It's been a few years since I've caught so many white bass at CJ. Also caught a 4" perch, my second one in 4 trips. The population must be on the mend.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Was a good morning, caught a nice limit (16.3lbs) and 7 shorts. About a third on jig and worm, the rest on shiver minnow in 11 to 13 fow. Did not have the usual variety today, only 1 gill, 4 cats and 4 real nice crappie. Fish seemed to like the light breeze today. When it either picked up or died off my bite stopped. Water temp was around 75. Fished from about 6am till 12:10 when I picked up number 6. Lost six fish on the shiver minnow. Don't know what that was about, used to lose fish jigging spoons but hardly ever lose them on the shiver minnow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was a good morning, caught a nice limit (16.3lbs) and 7 shorts. About a third on jig and worm, the rest on shiver minnow in 11 to 13 fow. Did not have the usual variety today, only 1 gill, 4 cats and 4 real nice crappie. Fish seemed to like the light breeze today. When it either picked up or died off my bite stopped. Water temp was around 75. Fished from about 6am till 12:10 when I picked up number 6. Lost six fish on the shiver minnow. Don't know what that was about, used to lose fish jigging spoons but hardly ever lose them on the shiver minnow.
Great update! I have been busy working on a project Jon boat past few weeks and have not got out much. When I finish this up, I think my first trip in it will be out at CJ, I have been hearing great reports on crappie this year!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shiver minnow looks alot like a jigging rapala which I use at caesar creek.I like em cause they catch a variety,crappie ,white bass,saugeye and even catfish while vertical jigging.Is that how you use the shiver minnow?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I cast out and hop them back with a snap jigging action. I have never vertical jigged them. I used to vertical jig spoons a lot and caught a lot of eye's but as the population dropped my catch rate fell way off. When I started using shiver minnows the population was so low I figured casting would cover more ground and potentially contact more fish. Same with jig and worm, I always cast or do a slow drift. Never stay in one spot anymore. If I'm drifting a ridge or a flat I will fish the jig on the drift down and throw the shiver minnow while using the trolling motor to slowly move back to the top of the drift. Kind of makes a change of pace during the day.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,139 Posts
In case you guys didn't figure it out from Dave's posts, CJ is pretty much ON FIRE right now. Lots of Walleyes being caught jigging and trolling. I've caught over 60 between 13" and 22" in the past 4 trips. That includes getting skunked on Walleyes on Father's Day when Dave did so well! If you've been wanting to use your jigging skills this is the time. Even if you catch a bunch of 14" fish they are still a blast and SO encouraging for the future years.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
728 Posts
For some reason today seemed tough even though we caught some fish. Started out the first hour or so hunting for musky and then switched back to eyes. Drifted the rr bed from about 5ft depth out to the trestle. It was like the dead sea, caught 1 short eye and 1 bluegill the whole drift. Hit it a couple weeks ago and caught 2 eyes and lots of crappie, gills and cats. Around 10:00 we moved on down the lake to another short ridge and worked it until noon when we quit. We caught two eyes around 18" and six shorts, a few gills, real small crappie and some cats. The larger cats, 1-2lbs, were all at the south end of the ridge and the small ones all to the north end.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,139 Posts
I was out by 6:00, Dave. Guess I didn't see you if you were along the shore or up north. That flat calm and the bright sun made it tough for a jig bite! I also got 6 shorties, 4 of them after the wind picked up just a little. Then finally got a 21 and a 17. Pulled up at 10:30 because the sun was so bright that my eyes were burning and watering.

I heard second hand of TWO 28" fish caught trolling plus other big fish and a boat that limited in 35 minutes! The fish are still there and active, they just didn't like what I was serving today.
Back on Sunday weather permitting.
See you out there.
MC

Water Sky Water resources Fluid Natural landscape

1 - 10 of 10 Posts