Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Only fished about 5 1/2 hours today, wanted to get off before the ramp got busy. First 2 hours tried for musky but no takers. Spent the rest of the morning on walleye. A 14, two 15's, two 18's and a 20. Caught one dead sticking a jig and worm, the rest casting a shiver minnow. A lot better than last weekends bluegill and white bass. In fact it was probably the best total walleye catch I have had at CJ in a long while. Water temp was 61, 10 degrees cooler than last weekend. Hardly anyone going for eyes this morning. Fished near Blueboat for awhile. Mike had a real nice 22".

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did not make it out last weekend and today was slow. My partner caught a 22" on a blade bait and I caught a 7" on a shiver minnow. That was it for eyes. Several white bass, 3 cats a bluegill a few crappie and 2 small rocks. Water temp was around 75. Started getting hot by 11:00 so we left. Will be a couple weeks before I get back out again. Taking the grandkids camping at Kelley's Island for 4 days starting next Sunday. Let them jig spoons for sheepshead if not too windy. That will keep them busy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Fished Sunday till 1pm. My partner caught a short and 2 around 20" on a blade bait. I caught a couple microscopic gills and a perch. Water was around 76 when we left. Went out today by myself, too hot for my partner who turns 80 this summer. Caught 5 between 15 and 20 inches. One on a sebille vibratto, one on a vibe and 3 on jig and worm. Left at noon, was getting hot. Water temp was 75 degrees when I started today. If I were to rate my success so far this year I would put it quite a bit behind last year for numbers but still better than the previous eight years. Probably about even for quality of keepers between now and last year.
Yesterday looked like maybe 10 boats fishing for eyes and hardly any pleasure traffic. This morning was fewer people fishing and pleasure traffic was building.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Nice seeing you again this morning, Dave. I had two when I saw you then went back where I started at pulled 3 more, including a 21 and a 22. Kept 2 11" Crappies because my wife actually likes them more than 'eyes. I pulled up at 11 because of the heat and the boat ramp rodeo that was forming.

See you out there!
MC

Vertebrate Plant Cuisine Salmon-like fish Fish

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Went out for about 4 hours this morning until the wind got too heavy for me. It was a little wet but no heavy rain. Just about had the lake all to my self. Picked up an 18" on a worm, a 17" and a 8" on a shiver minnow along with 3 white bass, a crappie and several small cats. The lake is still clean in spite of all the rain with water temps holding in the mid 70's

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Took a sick day, have about 12 weeks built up and only 7 weeks left to work so I figured I'd better use one since I won't get paid for them. Spent the first couple hours trying to find some eyes. Finally located some on the fifth spot and over the next hour and a half caught six and lost two. Caught half on jig/worm and half on shiver minnow. There was a nice light breeze but when it stopped so did the eyes and almost every other fish in the lake. Over the next two and a half hours only managed to catch 3 small cats. Left around 1pm. Water temps still cool for mid - late July. When I quit was 78 on trolling motor and 80 at the surface. About a foot and a half visibility.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Went out this morning, Friday, about 6:45 - had 5 good ones before 9:30 - all in the same spot between 17 - 19. All on jig/worm. Had a big one that came unbuttoned after letting me get a good look broadside. Probably about 24". Hook came up with a tiny piece of her still attached. Also some cats, both dinks and "eaters" (which I don't do), several Pumpkinseeds and Sunfish and NO Crappies or White Bass today.

Back on Sunday before it rains or gets too hot.
See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anyone hit CJ this weekend? I was going back and forth between it and Acton. Found a bunch of crappie and cats at Acton but no Saugeye to bring home. Fished Saturday morning till a bit after lunch. I guess I should have hit CJ. If its heating up, its a lot closer than Indian or the big pond up north.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
I was out yesterday and got skunked on keeper Walleye. The rain/storm or something had knocked them off the humps where I jig fish. One of my buddies switched to trolling and picked up at least 3 nice ones. You could see them stacked up in about 15 fow off the roadbed between 10-14 feet down. I don't generally troll and I picked up at 11:00 before it got so hot and crowded. OF COURSE... with hot, stable days that whole pattern has likely changed by now. It is CJ, after all.
I'll try again later this week.
See you out there.
MC

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was able to get out yesterday (Mon) fished from 630-1200, managed 2 keepers, 3 undersized walleye and your typical handful of gills, cats and WB...water temp was 79 when I started and 81 when I left. It's nice getting out during the week and not have to deal with the boat ramp circus, only a few others out that were mainly trolling, don't know if anyone had any better luck!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Water temp was 80 this morning. Could not find an eye anywhere. Caught a few other assorted fish along with one nice flathead. I think that is only the third or fourth flathead I have caught in CJ in 30 years. Must be a tournament tomorrow, lots of boats I did not recognize out this morning. A couple guys ran their planer boards within 10 feet of my boat today. Think I'll work around the house tomorrow.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
I was out yesterday with the same luck you had except no Flathead. Small Channels are everywhere stealing bait. I even broke down and trolled for a while. The only excitement was losing a crankbait to something that hit and broke/cut the line even with the dragged set pretty light.
Mid-Ohio has a tourney tomorrow - I'm going to go out in the middle of it since I missed the one in June due to pouring rain and wind.
See you out there!
MC

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Anyone know how the tourney went? Looked like most people were trolling today, only two or three of us diehard jig fishers. The August slow down is here for me. Fished 4 1/2 hours today for a 19" eye, 1gill, 1 white bass and half a dozen small cats. Caught the eye on a shiver minnow, the white bass and one cat on a vibe. Water temp almost 80. This would have been my last trip for eyes but could not use up all my crawlers. Lost more crawlers to snags than fish today. Have a dozen left for one more trip but my expectations are low. Would rather drown them than put them in the flower bed. Will have try for musky again when the water cools.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Here is the scoresheet for the tournament.

Reactions: bwhntr4168

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried CJ for the second time yesterday. Pulled cranks, jig and a crawler, and pulled crawler harness. Caught more catfish than i could count, but no walleye. I stayed mostly around the humps and main lake break between 12 an 16 fow. Is there somewhere else i should be looking? I didnt see much on the graph when i got into deeper water. Both trips i didn't really see anyone fishing north of the main lake point, is that ever productive. Hoping to make another trip once the temps drop.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Skunked88,
For me the north end is a May and June time frame. I never do any good from August to mid Sept anywhere on the lake. When the lake draw down starts it pulls the shad and eyes to deeper water. If you can find the bait the eyes will be near. Jig vibe's. It's mostly hit or miss for me, but a few people do quite well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Skunked88,
For me the north end is a May and June time frame. I never do any good from August to mid Sept anywhere on the lake. When the lake draw down starts it pulls the shad and eyes to deeper water. If you can find the bait the eyes will be near. Jig vibe's. It's mostly hit or miss for me, but a few people do quite well.
Thanks! i had figured they'd move up shallow in the fall, so you saved me from skipping the deep water. Tight lines!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts