Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some days make you think you should quit while you're ahead because it won't get much better. I was on my first (and only) spot of the day before 6:30 and had a 16" Walleye in the boat by 6:40, on my first half nightcrawler. Got the second one on the other half of that same worm. Ended up with 6 16" eaters by 8:30 then never got another fish of any kind until I pulled up at 10:00. I used THE SAME JIG for all 6 Walleyes plus an 11" Crappie, 2 dink Kitties and a foot long White Bass. Amazing that I never broke off that jig. Water temp was 77.7° all morning.

I'll be back out in the morning to see if I can maintain the streak. That deluge coming on Wednesday might make it rough next weekend.

See you out there.

MC

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another 3 good ones early this morning. Same jig... I finally retired it when a fish straightened it! Oh well. Water temp was down to 75 - 76 this morning.

Folks who know what they're doing are catching some Walleyes in several places. Also a number of 11 - 13" Crappies are turning up. Now's the time to get them.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Nice reports !
CJ's a little far for me but one of these days I'm gonna try catching some early winter walleye on my fly rod in the dark. I've wanted to give it a shot for years but normally get sidetracked by saugeyes in my area.
Keep the reports coming, makes me want to get there even more.
Good luck and good fishing

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As expected, the cool, weird weather this week seems to have messed up the bite. I bailed on the rain yesterday but today greeted me with a COLD North/Northeast wind and cloud cover that just wouldn't let the sun peek through. If I had had my winter suit on the boat I would have been IN it. Water temp was right around 70° after being near 80 two weeks ago. I was set up out in the middle before 6:30 and found a few dink white bass, Crappie, kitties. Pulled a nice 18" Walleye then couldn't find another. Moved back toward the ramp and found three nicer Crappies but no Walleyes. Moved to the gravel pit where I marked a lot of fish but couldn't get a bite until I strapped on a brand new Shiver Minnow (Thanks Troy Dave.) It got slammed on the 2nd or 3rd drop and produced a fat 4.4 pound 22" Eyeball. Ended up with three thanks to a "contribution" from a buddy who didn't want to clean just one.

Stable weather this week should bring things back where they were last weekend. I'll be out perhaps as early as Thursday.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
691 Posts
Those shiver minnows can produce some nice eyes. I plan on being back out there this weekend. Just got back from my third annual June West Branch musky trip. Fished Sunday evening, Mon, Tues and this morning. Was a great trip, caught 5, lost 2, missed 3 and had 6 follows. Biggest was 36.5 and smallest was 23. Average was around 30, not very big but lots of fight.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those shiver minnows can produce some nice eyes. I plan on being back out there this weekend. Just got back from my third annual June West Branch musky trip. Fished Sunday evening, Mon, Tues and this morning. Was a great trip, caught 5, lost 2, missed 3 and had 6 follows. Biggest was 36.5 and smallest was 23. Average was around 30, not very big but lots of fight.
I'll be there Saturday and probably Sunday - see you out there!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Anybody do any good this morning trying to decide between Indian and C.J for the evening. I know we'll catch at Indian but I love the possibility of a 28in walleye on the other end.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was out this morning at sunrise again. Went out in the middle. Water temp was 77.7. It was pretty slow but finally found a direction that they liked a little better. Got 3 short Walleyes, a 21" and a 20". Moved to another spot and found a 16". Mine were on jig and worm, as usual. I know that Troy Dave got 3 or 4 keepers also on Jig/worm and a jigging spoon.

It got pretty hot and the pleasure boaters were showing up early so I bailed just after 10:00. I'll be back in the morning. Forecast is great until Noon with a 3 - 7 mph SSW wind.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was out this morning at sunrise again. Went out in the middle. Water temp was 77.7. It was pretty slow but finally found a direction that they liked a little better. Got 3 short Walleyes, a 21" and a 20". Moved to another spot and found a 16". Mine were on jig and worm, as usual. I know that Troy Dave got 3 or 4 keepers also on Jig/worm and a jigging spoon.

It got pretty hot and the pleasure boaters were showing up early so I bailed just after 10:00. I'll be back in the morning. Forecast is great until Noon with a 3 - 7 mph SSW wind.

See you out there.

MC
Nice job Mike, hopefully I'll be able to get out within the next week, I'll know for sure by wed., Wanted to see if you've been out during the week and if so, how busy is the lake? If I get the all clear gonna try on Fri. morning and avoid the weekend crowd for a couple more weeks!

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice job Mike, hopefully I'll be able to get out within the next week, I'll know for sure by wed., Wanted to see if you've been out during the week and if so, how busy is the lake? If I get the all clear gonna try on Fri. morning and avoid the weekend crowd for a couple more weeks!
Rich, I actually haven't been out more than once during the week yet. Even in retirement and a quarantine it seems my weekdays get filled up! The crowds have not been bad even on the weekends. Today had more fishermen than I've seen all year but it was still FAR below "the good old days." I think the pleasure boaters came out today because the forecast was just too good to ignore. I've done well enough that I've been happy to pull up between 10:00 - 11:00 before I get heat exhaustion and most of the joy riders get there.

Hope to see you next week. There's a tournament next Sunday so be sure to get out to your spot before they blast off. Probably at 7:00 A.M.

See you out there.

M

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WHOLE different world out there this morning. Water temp 78.9 so just up a little, wind calm to light but variable. There were no Walleyes to be found in 4 of the most "dependable" places. I got two "hammer handle" short 'eyes, two small Bluegills, and a few average Crappie. Pulled up at 10:00 again and came home for a NAP! I'm on land until Saturday now.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
691 Posts
It was a rough day, finished with 3 shorts and a 17" I tossed back, a large crappie and a small cat. My grandson had 2 gills. Mike, caught the 17 just as you left the flat. After my last move I caught another short and lost what I think was 2 more eyes, catfish never seem to come unbuttoned.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another tough, but short morning. Surface temp 83.5° but 73° on the bottom in 14'. I found a nice 17" Walleye at 6:45 and thought there might be some promise but that was it. Beyond that I got two small Crappies, a decent sized White Bass and a 10" Channel cat that snagged in the tail as he swam by. That was a moment of insanity! I couldn't even get my nightcrawler stolen by dinks! I think I only went through a dozen crawlers in 4 hours. I talked to a few other guys who had one or none. Maybe someone did better. I pulled up at just after 10:00. Lots of "pleasure boats" starting to show up by then.

Guys pre-fishing for next week's WOW tourney mostly saw a very different lake than last Sunday's Mid-Ohio tourney, I think.

Sleeping in tomorrow, might be back out on Sunday.

See you out there.

MC

Reactions: garhtr

·
Where's Waldo?
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of the Mid-Ohio Saugeye Trail tourney, here are the results from last Sunday. 14 boats, 54 fish, I didn't add up the weights. We saw the 7.32 pounder caught. I chopped off the names just because it's nunya.

Text Font Handwriting Line Writing

1 - 20 of 34 Posts