Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out after the rain and the fish were on. caught 6 bass bunch of crappies and 2 14 in cats , fished from noon to 3 30, was nice out

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glad to help the cj guys, was you out johnny? ill be there very early sat morn, got to go to columbus tom, good fishing all

4,760 Posts
glad to help the cj guys, was you out johnny? ill be there very early sat morn, got to go to columbus tom, good fishing all
Nope

I only come down to springfield every other weekend (sure you get the point) so thats when I'm able to hit CJ with a few exceptions during the crappie bite..

This isn't a weekend I'll be down but I like to "know the flow" per say of the lake when I'm not around

Sometime soon I hope to come stay for a week so I can hope to get that first keeper eye of the season :rolleyes:

Jonny

·
Registered
232 Posts
Was there today with my son Dylan from 11:00 until 3:00. 5 SM,biggest was around 13",5 white bass,biggest around 14",3 SMALL crappie and 4 channel cats ,biggest around 2lbs. Saw a guy leaving with a insane stringer of channel cats. Biggest,I would guest at around 6 lbs. Great day to be out.....Dan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i been hearing about the cats, heard of alot of them, ive been catching them bass fishing, pretty good size ones, must be cat time, haha, ill be there early sat morn, ill keep them this time, people off shore were catching cats also,

·
Registered
101 Posts
went out after the rain and the fish were on. caught 6 bass bunch of crappies and 2 14 in cats , fished from noon to 3 30, was nice out
Fished from 6-11pm caught an 11" Crappie in 15' of water off the roadbed, but not much else. There was no wind. Can't seem to find any eyes :(

·
Registered
685 Posts
Stayed until 11:00 today. I can't figure these eyes out this year. Don't seem to be able to find any groups other than 8 to 10" fish. When I do catch a good fish it is only one to a spot. Caught an 8 1/2 pounder on a spoon up in the north end this morning and a bunch of little ones on jigs and spoons off the roadbed from the campground to the tressel hole. The big one spit up a half digested 7 inch shad. Tried 4 other spots but nothing. Again no mid size fish. Where are they hiding?

4,760 Posts
Stayed until 11:00 today. I can't figure these eyes out this year. Don't seem to be able to find any groups other than 8 to 10" fish. When I do catch a good fish it is only one to a spot. Caught an 8 1/2 pounder on a spoon up in the north end this morning and a bunch of little ones on jigs and spoons off the roadbed from the campground to the tressel hole. The big one spit up a half digested 7 inch shad. Tried 4 other spots but nothing. Again no mid size fish. Where are they hiding?
You can't catch fish that aren't there :)

Too many people are out trying to fill a quota :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes there are a lot of eyes pulled out every year, but they do stock it pretty heavy. However that doesn't explain where all the 15 to 17 inch fish are. I caught lots of 12 to 14 7/8 inch fish last year, many times thats all I caught and they must be swimming around there somewhere a little bigger.

·
Where's Waldo?
1,132 Posts
Actually, the number of fishermen is way, way down from just a few years ago out there. We used to get within 20 feet of each other and joke about having them "surrounded." I've seen lots of times when we were catching each others jigs and everyone was getting some 'eyes in between times.

I haven't given up on this year yet, although it has been tough to find concentrations of fish. I got skunked on 'eyes of all descriptions this morning in the exact places where I have caught around 20 keepers so far this year. I saw one long time regular who had two 16's and a 23. It was his wife who is not a long-time regular who got the big one. Even last week, when I got 5 keepers, it took almost 6 hours. The guy with me that day caught 1/2 dozen or more short fish and no keepers at all. I have no idea why.

The water temp is still on the low side for the jig bite. These cold nights have a lot of effect. I'm still hoping that they just haven't set up in that early Summer pattern yet and are still scattered around the lake. I'll be back at them again in the morning.

See you out there.

MC

·
Multispecies Journeyman
205 Posts
Doesn't sound like very good news. Took Monday off to take my dad out on CJ for the first time, looking for some eyes. Maybe I'll just have to go ahead and go to work or maybe try Alum Creek instead for some saugeyes. Good luck out there tomorrow. Hope to hear a better story than today.:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i went fishing fri nite at 11pm and stayed all nite untill noon saturday, fishing was horrible, didnt even sniff a bass, caught 2 small crappies and even tried cat fishing, not a bite either, wind was up some over nite, the people that were around there left so i dont think anybody was catching, wasnt many walleye boats out on sat at all, how funny went from killing them after those storms to nothing, will try again wed and thurs morning, oh did anyone see the idiot sking right by the docks, is snagging skiers a crime? haha

·
Where's Waldo?
1,132 Posts
Hit the water at 6:30 this morning. It was cool, calm, then choppy, breezy, rained for a while then calm and warm. The %&%<!* East wind persisted although it wasn't too hard at any time. I set up in the middle and found some more of those nice Crappies in the 10 - 12 inch range then one 16" Walleye. Moved at about 10:00 o'clock and eventually found two more about the same size. Also caught 6 or 8 short Walleyes including some yearlings. Three friends in two other boats had caught 5 keepers when I left including one very nice 23.5 which I saw boated.

It's starting to get better as the water warms. We finally hit 74 degrees on the surface when the sun came out today. You guys that haven't done this much remember that most of the time these Walleyes are biting very lightly on jigs. It's just a single tap or a slight weight on the line that will be gone if you don't react quickly. Until you know what it is you could easily ignore it and not know what you missed.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am going to CJ for the first time next Sunday (6-21-09). Is anyone trolling crank baits or worm harnesses for eyes?

Thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been trolling dipseys with spoons, harnesses with snap weights and 50/50 method. Started off good a month ago with a 4# and a 6#, but have only been getting dinks lately. Going to try tomorrow and think I will slow up to about l.5 and see if I do better. I will post results.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the east wind is to blame. The fishing hasn't been too good anywhere and that east wind has been persistent. Turn it around and the fish will turn on. I hope!

4,760 Posts
I am going to CJ for the first time next Sunday (6-21-09). Is anyone trolling crank baits or worm harnesses for eyes?

Thanks in advance

Mike
I've trolled all over that lake with everything lol Haven't caught a keeper all year

I hate to say it but jigging might be te best bet right now if your on " a spot"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts