Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback from anyone that has quad Cisco gimbal mounts. Looking to outfit a new boat. I had quad Cisco's mounted on my last boat but am thinking about going w/ the gimbal mounts instead on the new one. Has anyone used those? Seems like a lot of stress to me on a gimbal mount but maybe not.

·
Bass are for guys who can't catch Walleye
1,194 Posts
I ran a set of triples and a set of doubles for 4 years. 0 troubles, best rod holders out there. I still have the gimbals, in storage, until I move back to a lake erie boat. I have the rod holders moved to my StarCraft 2050STX. They work perfect on the boat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Marbletucky, I run with twin quads on both gunnels and have no problems with the rod holders. Customers have a tendency to hang on them forcing them out of position. I didnt want to drill more holes in my boat so that's why I run with the gimbal mounts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. If anyone has some used quads they'd like to sell let me know. Or even used triples.......I have a buddy looking for some as well. If not, we will get new ones. As I said, I had quads mounted on the old boat and they were great but they went w/ the boat so I need a couple new sets.

·
retired pipefitter120/669 sprinkler fitter
1,481 Posts
I have quad Cisco gimbals for about 9yrs Jim was alive when I bought them. Cisco was still in there old shop have no problem, I have pulled 3 rods off big boards and a dipsey off the 4th holder never a problem.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You do raise a good question about the stress from quad gimbal mount holders especially with the wider spacing on the Ciscos. As several others have stated you won't have a problem with the Cisco parts. Where you could run into a problem is if the rodholders you are using on the boat aren't high end (Lee's, CE Smith, Gemlux) you could end up breaking the boat mounted rodholder. Be careful if it is a Perko rod holder on the boat.

·
Home of the Tru Trips
183 Posts
Marbletucky, I run with twin quads on both gunnels and have no problems with the rod holders. Customers have a tendency to hang on them forcing them out of position. I didnt want to drill more holes in my boat so that's why I run with the gimbal mounts.
I used to run quads with gimbals, never had an issue. I now run six packs on each side with cisco quick release system. I love drilling holes in Tiaras.

JUST SAYIN

Dan

www.bigfishtuff.com

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I have quad gimbal mounts. Only time I had a problem was in rough water and an inexperienced crew member stumbled and put a lot of weight on one end of the track and it broke the pin in base of rod holder. no biggie to replace , but as Freebird pointed out, quality rod holders would help. Luckily I didnt' lose anything.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Steve you are dead on about the PERKO holders. Some of the newer ones have a molded sleeve inside with just a molded plastic hump instead of a pin. The sleeve has a cheap rivet. That rivet will break the Gimbel will turn and go parallel with the stern. Once parallel the rods will go right out the back of the boat in nothing flat. We learned this on an old boat. We recovered all gear plus a walleye but it made for a good mess. Cheap to say the least.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These would be going in the factory gunwale mounted rod holders of a Pursuit so I'd think they would be fine.

·
TROLL-aholic
275 Posts
JD runs quad Ciscos on his boat with no issues....we run em salmon fishing and run a slide diver, high diver, wire diver and one of the stacked rigger rods off it with no issues....

·
Registered
418 Posts
How much do you think I would get for a set of triples with gimbal all Cisco ? I sold the boat and thought about holding onto them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts